8-Undermountain Trip 4 - SkullPort

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: 8-Undermountain Trip 4 - SkullPort

#241 Post by DadsAngry »

Ganon:

Ganon will visit the Yawn Portal, seedy harbor-side taverns, and dark alleys inhabitants. He makes inquires pertaining to a city below Waterdeep ruled by flying skulls. He will not use the name Skullport until individual speaks it first. To those individuals he will inquire about slave traders, their trade routes, general information of Skullport itself, it's inhabits, and any necessary or suggested equipment one might find useful for an extended stay. When he interview these individuals he will slip in thieves cant phrases and see if he receives the similar responses. Information from those individuals he will trust and valve more.

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#242 Post by ylinett »

Thorax heads to the Irlingstar manor. If he is not granted an audience he will attempt to schedule an appointment. If he is he will confide in Trevor that they came across a slaver abducting children. They know where his home is located but they are going to have to be much faster then they are, get out more quickly then they can...AND make sure that he us unable to escape via magical means. As is they are concerned that he may simply teleport in and out and it may be a very protracted stakeout.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#243 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'm actually quite confused as I thought we decided not to go back to skullport, and that we were going back to undermountain so yeah...... :?

Glimble "If it is skullport we are destined I am going to opt out my friends it has been a great adventure but I must part ways if that is the course."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#244 Post by ravenn4544 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:I'm actually quite confused as I thought we decided not to go back to skullport, and that we were going back to undermountain so yeah......
That was the preferred plan for most, but our resident fat boy fanatics have persuaded some to join them - for better or worse :)

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#245 Post by Inferno »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Glimble "If it is skullport we are destined I am going to opt out my friends it has been a great adventure but I must part ways if that is the course."
"Of course. I understand. Our path is not for the faint of heart.
"Can you leave the staff with the party then?"
Vek grins wryly. "I thought we had agreed to give it to Roseheart, as you had been apportioned magic treasure earlier, and he none.
"We'll buy it from you, if you feel it necessary, good priest."
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

GreyWolfVT

#246 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble "The staff is clerical, in gnomish and of the God Gond and the other three gods of knowledge what good will it be to you? You can't even use it?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#247 Post by ravenn4544 »

Roseheart nods appreciatively at Glimble, "You better come with us then..."

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#248 Post by ylinett »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Glimble "The staff is clerical, in gnomish and of the God Gond and the other three gods of knowledge what good will it be to you? You can't even use it?"
"It's a mystery to me" jokes Thorax. "If you insist on staying could you help guard the Tavemple until we return? I have a feeling it may be more than a short while."

GreyWolfVT

#249 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble "I could do that however I was going to find that other mercenary group and head into undermountain once more to hells with skullport."

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#250 Post by Darkmane »

OK - I'll try to tackle everybody in a row:

1. Roseheart - the cheapest healing potions are sold by a friend of Rhaegeff's:

Rhaeggef's Cleric Friend (discounted pricing on healing potions)
Healing Potions:
1d8 healing potions for 200gp
2d4+2 healing potions for 300gp
3d8+3 healing potion for 1500gp

Just let me know what you decide to purchase.

2. Tella - You aren't able to find any specific magic items for sale right now, but if you are looking for something in particular, you can leave a note with the clerk and they might be able to find something for you.

3. Vek and Cormack - since the Watch installed a sturdy grate over the sewer hole near where poor children play down in the dock ward, you haven't heard of further child kidnappings. There may be more going on, but Waterdeep is huge, and you haven't heard of anything specific. None of the dwarves from the Tavemple have heard of anything either.

4. Ganon searches the shady streets of Waterdeep looking for clues about Skullport, but he finds very few who know anything about the dark place, and those who do tell him to stay away from there. Good thieves who want to keep their heads on their shoulders avoid that place. Gannon gets several offers for criminal enterprises in Waterdeep let me know if you want any details about the offers mostly pick-pocket schemes, and a couple of B&E's.

5. Thorax goes and talks to Trevor and confides in him about the Slaver scheme. Trevor seems quite concerned, but doesn't know much about SkullPort. He's heard tale of it, but everything he had heard sounded like non-sense which he avoided. The best information that he had was that groups of pirates and thieves operating out of Luskan, far to the north, sometimes operated smuggling operations out of the place. Trevor had gone on a merchant operation for to the north, and heard tales of their illegal shipping lanes.

6. You visit the Candle shop again, but the lady warns she won't be able to let you use her gate for several months. Folks down in the depths are learning about this way into SkullPort and are trying to track the magic back to her location in Waterdeep. She is only letting 2 groups down into Skullport per month, and she is booked out for around 3 months right now. If you pay her 1000gp, she will hold a spot for you....

GreyWolfVT

#251 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble "I guess I should have asked before completely dismissing the group but how did you plan to get back to Skullport. It was a costly secretive way of getting there to begin with and was almost as secretive and as hard for us to manage a way back. At least undermountain we know the ways in and out from the trips we have already made. Plus we have run into other groups of adventurers multiple times down there, and yes there was the dragon but if you recall it was a younger dragon not a grand elder dragon. It'd have to be younger and smaller just to fit in the passages it was in when it killed poor Trevor's dwarf friends."

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#252 Post by Darkmane »

I hope everybody had a good Christmas!

I wanted to post a few options to help you guys sort out the next steps. If you plan to return to Skullport, it is difficult to get in and out of the underground city. The whole place seems fraught with danger, and you have no friends down there. There are several options available to you, that you haven't tapped yet:

1. You guys could try to bribe or lean on the Candle lady to let you down into Skullport quicker?

2. Tella could try her contacts in the Mages Guild - both Mhair and Ben are very powerful wizards with a long history in Waterdeep. They may know something of Skullport. Also, they have access to a recuperating master Diviner Xynevell.... the gods know what he may be able to scry or divine.

3. You could try talking to a few of your contacts at the Yawning Portal: Durnan the proprietor seems to know more than he lets on, Rhaeggef may know something, or even that crazy barbarian dude who is always hanging out in there...Ragnuck might have been his name. Folks say he has gone down into Undermountain more times than any other adventurer! He might listen to you guys since you have been proven now, surviving several trips down and returning with treasure on several adventures!

Also, if you guys decide to wait the ~3 months for the candle lady to let you in, that does give you lots of time to try and learn more about the Fat Man and what you are going up against. Or you could take a few more trips into Undermountain during that time and try to score more treasures to fight him. Also, he seemed to have plenty of store-rooms on level 1 of the dungeon and your resources say that Skullport is somehow tied into the third level of Undermountain. Maybe the Fat Man had some kind of gate connecting the two levels or knew of a quick route using stairs or a shaft?

There does remain an element of your party who would still like to tackle the dragon, so that still is an option. While Trevor Irlingstar knew nothing of Skullport, he may know plenty about the dragon. He seemed to have invaded the dragon's lair!

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#253 Post by ravenn4544 »

I like the idea of working through under mountain to find a back door to the fat mans hideout. We know he frequents there so maybe that's our best angle of taking him out

GreyWolfVT

#254 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I am also for this as it goes into under mountain which was the original consensus until someone turned everyone the other way around.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#255 Post by DadsAngry »

Sorry didn't mean to cause such a mess. I only want to try and keep the group together. Honestly I don't care what avenue we peruse as long as it's together as a group.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#256 Post by Inferno »

I vote: Let's bribe the candle lady to go to the front of the line.
The fat man cleared out of the underground, lock, stock and barrel, remember?

Also, DM, I asked earlier: Would you consider dividing the party up? Some to the dragon, some to skullport?
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#257 Post by Darkmane »

I do suppose we could divide up the group, if you guys are dead set to go in two different directions. I was hoping you guys would come to an agreement that everybody would be happy with, but I don't want to see the game implode over the issue.

If I'm counting correctly:

Vek, Thorax, Cormack - would go after the Fat Man ASAP, bribing the candle lady to see if she can be persuaded.

Glimble, Roseheart - would rather stick to Undermountain, either looking for more "random" adventure, or with a concrete target like the Dragon

Tella and Ganon seemed originally to be more for Undermountain dungeon crawling... but I'm not sure.

So would it be 3 for the Fat Man, and 4 for Undermountain?

I also might have a few other players interested in joining to boost our ranks, to improve the survivability of smaller parties.....

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#258 Post by Inferno »

DadsAngry wrote: Honestly I don't care what avenue we peruse as long as it's together as a group.
DM: I think the OOC vote is 3 to 3 with 1 (Ganon) open to either as long as we don't split the group? :)
The IC vote is 5 to 2, fatman. :D

If we do split, Vek's planning on using Altos from the Deep Fires to improve the odds.

ravenn4544 wrote:I like the idea of working through under mountain to find a back door to the fat mans hideout. We know he frequents there so maybe that's our best angle of taking him out
Maybe. But I fear his back door could be that teleport trap section of the dungeon, which might be a hard path for us.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#259 Post by ybn1197 »

Darkmane wrote:If I'm counting correctly:

Vek, Thorax, Cormack - would go after the Fat Man ASAP, bribing the candle lady to see if she can be persuaded.

Glimble, Roseheart - would rather stick to Undermountain, either looking for more "random" adventure, or with a concrete target like the Dragon

Tella and Ganon seemed originally to be more for Undermountain dungeon crawling... but I'm not sure.
Sorry, you are not counting correctly.
ybn1197 wrote:As much as Cormack wants to agree with Thorax, he believes that Undermountain is a better plan. At least that way, funds can be obtained to be used in a protracted battle with the Fat Man.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#260 Post by Darkmane »

OOC- sorry YBN, had you counted wrong!

Ok, so... The count is really more like 2 for, and 4 against more Fat Man/Skullport. Ganon doesn't really care, as long as the group sticks together. As GM, my vote is for keeping you all together if possible. I'd also like to get back on track with any kind of RP, dungeon crawling, raiding the Fat Man or otherwise, instead of voting and deciding in OOC :)

Cormack, good buddy to Thorax... Roseheart, good buddy to Vek - both think further exploration of Undermountain could either lead to more treasure perhaps you guys could work to convince Thorax/Vek to focus on getting back at the Fat Man through Undermountain instead of a direct assault?

You ran into the Drow Elves and their evil altar to the north of the Yawning Portal well entry, and most of the store-rooms were also to the north of the Teleport trap area. You guys haven't done much exploration to the north of the well? Maybe that could lead to either more treasure or a way down to Levels 2-3 of the dungeon?

Edit- Dad'sAngry/Ganon - I sent you a PM related to your prior investigations.

Return to “Under Streets of Splendor (2ed)”