4- The Irlingstar Ancestral Helm Quest

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

4- The Irlingstar Ancestral Helm Quest

#1 Post by Darkmane »

New thread to cover the quest to find the undead Irlingstar patriarch, and retrieve his bones and the magical helm. Trevor Irlingstar has offered a 10,000gp reward for the recovery!!!

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: 4- The Irlingstar Ancestral Helm Quest

#2 Post by Darkmane »

Rumors and Dwarves

Tella overhears a group of men talking about a recent earthquake and how shortly after the waters of the river Delimbyr were polluted. A group of adventurers journeyed east to try and find the source of the pollution. The poison has left the river but these men never returned.

After arriving in town Kurnick gets silent and grumpier than usual. After a big he tells Thorax he needs to visit Dervals smithy before leaving town.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble "Thorax if your new friend needs to stop there we have plenty of time."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by ylinett »

Thorax replies "As a metal worker myself I would be delighted to go, but I take it this is not a pleasurable visit?"

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by spanningtree »

Tella - Elf Mage

Aye, no problems stopping for a bit.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Darkmane »

Kurnick nods to Thorax, You can come ifn u want, Derval and I were in the same clan, same family. Eighty years ago as a young dwarf I was ur coward and shamed myself and clan. I spent the rest of my years since drinking in Waterdeep, mostly wishin I were dead. Something about this quest is fated, I must go see Derval.

Ooc sorry for the snails pace here, I'm back at work and trying to figure out my schedule...

GreyWolfVT

#7 Post by GreyWolfVT »

snails pace works fine for me a few games are going much slower for me anyways so it helps me keep up on the two or three going like mad. ;)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#8 Post by ylinett »

"There are more enemies and fronts than just the ones we see before us on the field. I will go with you and aid you in your battle with yourself. Clangeddin be with us."

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by ybn1197 »

Cormack says, "Iff'n you be needing another, I will go with you."

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by Darkmane »

Derval's smithy is a low building, the back end consisting of nice, tightly mortared, dwarven, stone-work and a front of the building formed of rough timber frame with large sliding barn doors to allow good airflow around the forge in the summer months. All about the structure there are prominent craft-works displays: carefully sculpted wrought iron fixtures, nail heads with faces, wood carvings, dwarven runes and sculptures in the stone work. These tiny examples of skill proudly proclaim, this is the home and business of a dwarf!

Kurnick walks in, and comes to a stop, the constant ring of hammer upon the forge continues for a moment, a heavy framed dwarf with paunchy belly, thick leather apron, bare arms displaying two large tatoos, dragons and runes. The dwarf has a long red and grey braid which leaves his head, his dark eyes peer from a forest of red beard and facial haid that shows singed holes in spots. Derval peeps his eyes up for a moment, seeing Kurnick, and in that instant his hammer misses the forge, swings down, looping and twirling and ending up at his belt-loop.

Derval looks at Kurnick and says, I always knew you'd be back. Never knew it'd be 80 years. We didn't blame you.

Kurnick says nothing but walks up to Derval and they clasp hands.

Derval looks at the rest of you and says, Ye brought friends, sit about the fire, I'll get some ale.

Derval heads into the house and promptly returns with three platters piled high, silver cups of ale on the lower level, cheese and black bread on the middle, smoked fish and salted beef at the top...

So why have you returned? Derval looks at you all.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by Darkmane »

Kurnick replies I'm following a group of adventurers on a mission. I'll be lettin them tell you the details, only if they wish.

Those of you who went with Kurnick may interact with Derval if you wish, otherwise I'll move things along to the next morning and you can coninue of your mission.

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by ylinett »

Thorax nods at his friend and sits down. After all it would be rude to refuse the drinks. (ooc sorry never got a notice you posted).

GreyWolfVT

#13 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble goes in with the dwarves "My what a delightful place you have here sir."

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by ybn1197 »

"Aye," Cormack says. "This be the home of a true professional."

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by Darkmane »

ybn1197 wrote:"Aye," Cormack says. "This be the home of a true professional."
GreyWolfVT wrote:
Glimble goes in with the dwarves "My what a delightful place you have here sir."
Derval smiles at the praise of his house, he is obviously proud of it. You are welcome to spend the night here, iffn you wish, I should be able to pack you and yer mounts in somewhere. I can touch up your weapons or armor in the morning before you set off.

GreyWolfVT

#16 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble "Well we were just passing through but such a kind offer I cannot refuse. I can offer you any blessings of Gond you wish upon your home." Glimble gives a little gnomish bow.

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by ylinett »

Thorax chuckles misceviously. "Gond's blessings are free, Clangeddin's you will have to fight me for."

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#18 Post by Darkmane »

Derval laughs, I won't be fighting anyone tonight priests, have a good night. Derval finds a bunch of spots for you to lay down bedrolls and sleep for the night under a roof. In the morning Derval shows you all his bathroom, which has water indirectly heated by the forge, there are two beaten copper tubs that can be filled with water which is heated by the smithy. While he touches up your weapons, you are all able to get baths, if with only a few inches of water each. But the water is piping hot!

After saying goodbye to Derval, you are ready to set back on the road, well provisioned and rested. However, the finding stone tells you to veer to the east, steering you toward a lonely, forested mountain!
OOC - Last chance for business in town, the next post will be your adventure into the wilderness.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by Darkmane »

Tella needs to check the stone more often now as you are getting closer and closer to Undead Irlingstar and his crown. Staying fairly close to the river Delimbiyr you travel to the east, inland and away from the ocean. The farmlands fade away and the area around you become more forested and littered with rocky hills and crags. That lonely mountain gets closer and closer, until you are sure that the stone is leading you directly at it.

Suddenly, you hear sounds in the bushes... gentle cracks and rustles that can't be natural.

A voice springs forth, melodic and wavering, "What business do adventurers have in these parts?"

GreyWolfVT

#20 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble turns to try and see the person belonging to the voice. "What is it to you stranger?"

Return to “Under Streets of Splendor (2ed)”