3-Return to the Surface (Roleplaying in Waterdeep)

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

3-Return to the Surface (Roleplaying in Waterdeep)

#1 Post by Darkmane »

You've returned to the surface, and are back in the taproom of the Yawning Portal! We can use this thread for roleplaying and upkeep before you decide on the direction of your next adventures!

I'll update EXP and give you your totals in the OOC thread.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: 3-Return to the Surface (Roleplaying in Waterdeep)

#2 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble "Pardon my zoning out after casting aid I was sort of so tired that I was as if a zombie like gnome for a while. I am glad to see we made it out in one piece though. I suspect I must have been right about Trevor."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by ybn1197 »

Cormack - Dwarven Fighter 20 / 28

"Hmph!", Cormack snorts. "Speaking of Trevor," Cormack turns to the man. "What befell your retainers? Your cowardice?"

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by spanningtree »

Tella - Elf Mage 8/14

Aye, what a journey! My thanks for your return and aid Trevor.

OCC: Is there anyway for Tella to take some time and map out the area's they did see/explore before she forgets them?
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

Spiderdown
Tracker
Tracker

#5 Post by Spiderdown »

ybn1197 wrote:Cormack - Dwarven Fighter 20 / 28

"Hmph!", Cormack snorts. "Speaking of Trevor," Cormack turns to the man. "What befell your retainers? Your cowardice?"
Muriel - 6/10hp

Or was it orcs or a dragon? Muriel cuts across the end of Cormack's question as she leans heavily on his shoulder. No shame in that, could happen to anyone really. A glass of white wine has found its way into one hand; with her free hand she signals for a drink to improve his taciturn disposition.

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by ylinett »

Thorax goes to Trevor and with a mighty slapon the back says "You're alright.". Then on to the cleric with the body. "My condolences. I will continue to escourt the body to its final rest should you like."

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by Darkmane »

ybn1197 wrote:Cormack - Dwarven Fighter 20 / 28

Trevor shoots Cormack a look of smoldering anger, "You presumptuous little squat! Perhaps I should have let the dragon have another dwarf today!"

Immediately Tella and Thorax come in with encouraging words and Trevor calms a bit, but still glances at Cormack from time to time, as if he could shoot lightning bolts from his eyes.

Accepting a tankard of Ale from Durnan, and then quitely replies to Tella and Thorax, "We had planned on exploring the southeast areas of the first level today. We went down several corridors after we left you, mapping as we went, and then ran into something horrible in a large open space. That party of orcs, along with two hooded figures were delivering several bound humans, women I think, to the dragon. We startled the scene, but the orcs began tossing firebrands at us, and my dwarven companions charged in, trying to rescue the captives. We were doing well, and almost had rescued the captives, when suddenly the dragon, small as it was, let loose a torrent of flame that engulfed half of the room! I was hanging back to use my spells, and therefore was spared. The dragon killed a quarter of his own orcs, the captives, and my dwarven companions. I used a wall spell to delay the dragon and fled in terror. I'm pretty sure those hooded figures where human or elven, and I think they slipped away during the battle."

With that, he gets up, pushing away his tankard gruffly and shoots another hate filled glance at Cormack. He grumbles a short goodbye to the rest of you and then wraps up with a cloak and heads out the door.

Meanwhile, a priestess named Ellonney is working the healing shift at the Yawning Portal tonight. She takes the body of the fallen cleric, and covers him with with cloth that she pulls from her healing bag. She gives your party two tokens, which will award your group free healing by any priest of Tymora affiliated with the official church in Waterdeep. In addition, she heals all of you with cure light wounds, cure serious wounds, and various healing salves she pulls from her bag.

GreyWolfVT

#8 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble "My thanks Ellonney it is nice to have someone else doing the healing besides me and Thorax here." Glimble then rushes out to try and catch Trevor for a moment. If he cannot catch the man he will return to his travelling companions.

If he does catch the man. Glimble to Trevor "Please do forgive Cormack he is lacking in manners. I am sorry for your fallen friends. I cannot say that I know how that feels but I do want you to know if we can get their bodies back for a proper burial I will ensure that we inform you so that a proper ceremony can happen. I do hope this eases your hurt a but Trevor. What will you do now? I suspect we will return underground once again on the morrow would you be willing to accompany us? To perhaps help get back at the dragon and nasty dwarves?"

If he cannot catch Trevor Glimble to his friends "Well Cormack I hope you are happy what is the matter with you? You stubborn gruff pain in the arse dwarf! You are so un-trusting that you will soon get the entire town ready to kill us just for bring associated with you. Get so manners, or at least show some sympathy for fellow fallen dwarf kin. What is the plan are we to rest here in the Inn again then go back down tomorrow?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Spiderdown
Tracker
Tracker

#9 Post by Spiderdown »

Muriel - 10/10hp

Good as new, Muriel looks approvingly at her injuries after the healing spell from Ellonney - normally, magic burns itch abominably as they heal. We found your fellow priest with a group of adventurers underground. I'm sorry, none of them survived, but... do you have any idea what your friend was doing down there? If the Church of Tymora is at need we might be in a position to help.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by spanningtree »

Tella - Elf Mage 14/14

My sincere thanks Ellonney, that feels much better. Please accept my deepest regret for your fallen comrade. She will say taking a sip of ale. Seeing Trevor go with Glimble hot on his trail she hopes that maybe they might see him again.

She'll recount her tale of events to the folks at the inn that pull up a seat. Of course, in her version of the events the dragon was quite a bit larger. I know one thing, I'm going to take a bath and get some real rest!

OCC: Eventually Tella would like to copy the spells from the found spellbook into her own (Dancing Lights ,Shocking Grasp, Spider Climb, and Floating Disc). She would then like to sell the recovered spellbook and contribute the proceeds to the party coffer. Also, time to pick up an water (maybe flame) proof oiled leather bag/sack for her spell book. Let me know your thoughts on this.

GreyWolfVT

#11 Post by GreyWolfVT »

OOC: Tella might offer the spell book to Trevor if we ever see him again. Just a thought. :)

Spiderdown
Tracker
Tracker

#12 Post by Spiderdown »

Is there any service in Waterdeep for identifying unknown items? I think we picked up a couple of such. For that matter, can we buy spells from the local magisters?

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by Darkmane »

Glimble wasn't able to catch Trevor in the end, the tall man stormed off quickly on long legs and you weren't able to get to him.

Ellonney didn't know this particular cleric, he may have been from another city. She will bring him to the church for idenfication, and you are all welcome to visit if you want to catch back up in a day or two. They could try speaking to the man's spirit, but they don't like to use that magic unless there is a pressing reason.

It seems like most of you have a bit of character upkeep. Most of you should have gained a level. For a multiclassed character like Muriel, I'd give 1/2 the bonus exp since you only qualify for the bonus to one of your classes. It will take a few days to copy the spells over, so that should be enough time to track down some wizards to identify items also, and they may offer to buy the spellbook or trade for the identification costs. After talking to a few folks in the bar they turn you on to three possibilities: the Watchful Order of Magistors and Protectors is the local arcanists guild, there are also a couple of professional wizards who hire themselves out for divinations

So my list right now is:

-Muriel and Tella copy the spells from the book
-Go to see a wizard about identifying your magic items?
-Do you want to try hitting up a couple of rare item shops to get your non-magical items appraissed for worth?

GreyWolfVT

#14 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble would like to search for Trevor. He also has no items that he took other than the mace. He would like to see if it possess any magic and what it is worth. I forgot I gained a new Weapon Prof. So I now am prof. in the mace I located on a dead orc. :) "Well it appears we will be in town for a few days before venturing back down I'd like to see if Trevor is still here in the city/town. I also would like to visit the older men from our first night here in the tavern. I imagine they'd like to hear the tales of our first venture down. I also would like to see if there are any of my fellow Gondsmen here in this lovely city."

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by spanningtree »

Tella - Mage 14/14

Muriel, why don't we hole up for a few days and copy off the spells from this tome? After that we can use it as trade leverage? Engaging the party as a whole: After we copy these spells let's try to use this book to pay part/all of the identification costs for some of the items we recovered. If that sounds fair we'll get started.

OCC:
--Tella recovered a glowing dagger, journal and spellbook.
--Tella will return to the Inn and start copying the spells to her book, if Muriel would like to participate that's great.
--Tella will take a look at the journal and see if it has any value (physical or information wise), she is happy to share it with the party.
--After copying the spells she would like to have any party items identified with the spellbook as payment. She would prefer to go with a private wizard versus the mages guild. She is unlicensed and unsure if there is a penalty.
--Was there any take of coin that should be distributed?
--After figuring the above out she will purchase more rations and look for something to store her spellbook in that will protect it.

GreyWolfVT

#16 Post by GreyWolfVT »

--Was there any take of coin that should be distributed?
Good question as I lost track of anything I did not directly take. I have some clerical scrolls let I can keep or split with Thorax. Other than that all I took was a Footman's Mace off a orc we killed in the first encounter.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#17 Post by Darkmane »

OK - so we have quite a few things to look into in the city before heading back down. Glimble is going to search out Trevor, the old men from the Poets Bar, and also look for Gondsmen.

Muriel and Tella will hole up and copy those spells, followed by searching down some wizards to trade the spellbook for identification of the magical Dagger and Sword?

I have an XP & Treasure Thread where I kept track of all loot and things you killed for exp, here is a copy of that list:

Room 3:
-4 orcs
-ivory tube (scrolls inside, 2 magical clerical spells)
-blueshine EP (86 total pieces)
-6sp

Hallway Near Room 3a, and 5:
- 2 bugbears, 4 orcs
-10sp
-1 small pouch of weaponblack [Muriel]
-2 small "fire-starter" stones [Muriel]

Room 5:
- magical dagger, spellbook, journal, and two tallow candles(Tella)
-high strength thin rope, and the two flat pouches -> w/ thieve's picks, folding grapple, 7pp, 3gp [Muriel]
- two vials of holy water, Blessed by Tempus (Thorax)
-other bodies had more treasure, but it was left on the bodies, such that they could be returned to the church with a majority of their items undisturbed!
-gauntlets and rings, and the body of the cleric of Tymora! [Thorax]

Area 6:
LongSword - "shiny and sharp" [Muriel]
Area 6c: block of lurien cheese, 12 crossbow bolts, small shovel
Area 6F: Sand Room, clerical scrolls (3x Cure Light Wounds, 1x Cure Serious Wounds, 1 Cure Disease, and 1x Speak with Dead)
-3 skeletal Guardians

I also updated the maps, and I'm going to copy them into the XP & Treasure thread to document what you explored during trip #1. I'll scan them in sometime this weekend.

Did everybody add up their exp, roll new HP if they leveled up, and checked for new abilities or proficiency slots?

Thorax, Dagmar, and Cormack could probably handle the pricing on the non-magical treasure, while the other 3 are dealing with spells, and priestly stuff....

I'll start with Glimbles searchings first, tomorrow morning, and then move on to Tella and Muriel's business after that.

GreyWolfVT

#18 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Darkmane wrote:OK - so we have quite a few things to look into in the city before heading back down. Glimble is going to search out Trevor, the old men from the Poets Bar, and also look for Gondsmen.

Muriel and Tella will hole up and copy those spells, followed by searching down some wizards to trade the spellbook for identification of the magical Dagger and Sword?

I have an XP & Treasure Thread where I kept track of all loot and things you killed for exp, here is a copy of that list:

Room 3:
-4 orcs
-ivory tube (scrolls inside, 2 magical clerical spells) Glimble took and these got used up so the scrolls are gone or blank.
-blueshine EP (86 total pieces)
-6sp

Hallway Near Room 3a, and 5:
- 2 bugbears, 4 orcs
-10sp
-1 small pouch of weaponblack [Muriel]
-2 small "fire-starter" stones [Muriel]

Room 5:
- magical dagger, spellbook, journal, and two tallow candles(Tella)
-high strength thin rope, and the two flat pouches -> w/ thieve's picks, folding grapple, 7pp, 3gp [Muriel]
- two vials of holy water, Blessed by Tempus (Thorax)
-other bodies had more treasure, but it was left on the bodies, such that they could be returned to the church with a majority of their items undisturbed!
-gauntlets and rings, and the body of the cleric of Tymora! [Thorax]

Area 6:
LongSword - "shiny and sharp" [Muriel]
Area 6c: block of lurien cheese, 12 crossbow bolts, small shovel
Area 6F: Sand Room, clerical scrolls (3x Cure Light Wounds, 1x Cure Serious Wounds, 1 Cure Disease, and 1x Speak with Dead) Glimble took these and used only the CLW still have the last 3 scrolls on me.
-3 skeletal Guardians

I also updated the maps, and I'm going to copy them into the XP & Treasure thread to document what you explored during trip #1. I'll scan them in sometime this weekend.

Did everybody add up their exp, roll new HP if they leveled up, and checked for new abilities or proficiency slots?

Thorax, Dagmar, and Cormack could probably handle the pricing on the non-magical treasure, while the other 3 are dealing with spells, and priestly stuff....

I'll start with Glimbles searchings first, tomorrow morning, and then move on to Tella and Muriel's business after that.
I added OOC notes to what I took and used or still have.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by Darkmane »

Finishing up at the Yawning Portal

The tap room of the Portal is quite busy on the day that you returned, and while you are tossing back some beers to shake away the andrenaline from your last encounter, you notice two of the partrons who had been there the day you went down into the dungeon. Olphas the adventuring wizard is here in a non-descript brown robe, he left his long staff and hat over by his table to listen to your tales. Also, hearing about your exploits in killing orcs, Ragnuck (a hulking barbarian with a bejewled broadsword and a purple mohawk) comes over and laughs several times, great booming bouts of drunken laughter at some of the keener points.

Olphas, is a member of the Watchful Order of Magists, and has found work there from time to time casting detection spells and fighting fires. He gives you the location of the Tower of the Order, in Castle ward. Another man, dressed in leather armor, gilded with silver rings, and bracers, named Slippery Jack or something, tells you about a couple of places to try selling treasures found from the dungeon (Balthorr's Rare and Wondrous Treasures, located in Castle Ward, and also The Old Xoblob Shop for the really weird stuff). He also clues you into the location of the Irlingstar Villa, but suggests you not go there.

All in all you have a pretty ok time talking with the patrons before you have to head off to find a room, bath and good meal.

*I'm assuming you head to the Blackstar Inn again. Deduct 12gp for the night (room and food). One or more of you may want to investigate getting an apartment, because hotel fees are going to chew up your adventuring profits fast :)

Glimble's City Adventures:

The next morning, Glimble sets out into the city to find Trevor. He hikes across the city, for a couple of hours, finding his way into Sea Ward, and then into the northwest corner of Sul Street and Delzorin Stree. Since you entered this area of the city, you noticed that you are almost always being watched. You meet both the most energetic of merchants, and you notice abundant city watch patrols in this afluent area. The buildings around you are quite impressive, and the balconies are being filled up with flowers, tapestries and flags now that spring is in full season. Above the streets, you see griffons and pegasi in the skies, and even a magic carpet or two flits above. You even saw a wizard, just soaring along using some kind of flight spell, shooting through the sky on a mission.

When you make your way to the Irlingstar Villa, you see a stone home, with several arms branching out. There are armed guards patrolling the front, and they all wear tabards with the same heraldry -> white star adorned on a red sash, over a field of silver. Thinking back, you remember that Trevor was wearing a ring with the same symbol.

How do you wish to proceed?

GreyWolfVT

#20 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble will approach the guards and ask if Trevor Irlingstar is around and if he may see him. Holding out his hands in a gesture to show he means no trouble. "I wish to seek an audience with Trevor Irlingstar. Might he be home today? Is he allowing visitors?"

Return to “Under Streets of Splendor (2ed)”