3-Return to the Surface (Roleplaying in Waterdeep)

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

Re: 3-Return to the Surface (Roleplaying in Waterdeep)

#61 Post by ylinett »

Thorax's eyes fly open with rage, and now he is shouting loud enough for everyone to hear "You would compare the worship of the lawful and good Clangeddin Silverbeard to the killing of children in the name of Bane or Malar?!". Thorax spits on the ground. Roaring at this point "You insult the Father of Battle, the King of Valor in a place of his worship?! The lawful worship of a righteous god is denied, but instead compared to the murder of children! What kind of man are you? Are you even really a man or some foul agent of chaos masquerading as a guard?!"

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#62 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble just goes about his normal daily non-adventuring duties. Praying at temple, working in the temple, cleaning his gun and preparing in for the next adventure. Helping keep the new apartment tidy, and reading books about engineering devices and so forth.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Spiderdown
Tracker
Tracker

#63 Post by Spiderdown »

Muriel likewise engages in sword practice, study and tidying up. She buys a cheap silver necklace and a dented brass lamp and casts Continual Light on both of them, keeping the necklace for a light source and setting the lamp on a table in the apartment for better light at night.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#64 Post by spanningtree »

Tella - Elf Mage

Tella was able to make here charisma roll finding a shop that has a water/proof bag.

Roll under charisma for bag [3d6] = 13

Her charisma is 14. I was unable to find a "bag" in the PHB nor Aurora's guide. The closest I was able to find was a rucksack for 1gp. If that works I'll double the price to 2gp.

Tella will hang out with the others after finishing her tribulations, she's itching to get back to finding some loot.

OCC: 2gp removed, bag added to inventory. Was their an agreement to rent an apartment? If so does she need to pony up any gold?
OCC: Currently memorized spells: magic missile x3, continual light and flaming sphere.
Last edited by spanningtree on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by ybn1197 »

Cormack will practice his axe techniques and assist the others as needed.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#66 Post by Darkmane »

Apartment Update:

You end up deciding on the two story flat in the Trades district on Snail Street near where it hits Scroll Street, in a building connected to Merioth's Fine Silks. You are near an open court called Virgin Square, which is fairly close to the Yawning Portal. By day, a famous mercenary named Blazidon "One-Eye" sits in the square and matches penniless fighters up with Caravan Operators, and other odd jobs. Virgin's square is supposedly sitting on a spot where virgins were sacrificed to dragons at the dawn of mankind. Your apartment is also a few doors up from a fairly famous bar known as the Bowels of the Earth, it is a pretty sketchy dive frequented by thieves, criminals, and barbarians.

You are renting the top 2 floors of your building, which is brick on the lowest level, and wooden frame and timber above that. There are 2 bedrooms on each floor, and the building does have a flat roof, allowing use of the roof for outdoor eating, or sitting during nice weather. The bedrooms rooms all have small fireplaces, but some of you will have to "bunk" two in a room. There are two small kitchens were you could pack in to eat at a small table, and there are a few small rooms which could be set up for reading, and one has a small table that could be used for planning and displaying maps. It is cozy and non-descript, and your apartment is located in the heart of the city. During the day, the throngs are pushing, yelling, cursing, and trading out in the streets just in front of your door.

Thorax's Adventures at the Plinth
ylinett wrote:Thorax's eyes fly open with rage, and now he is shouting loud enough for everyone to hear "You would compare the worship of the lawful and good Clangeddin Silverbeard to the killing of children in the name of Bane or Malar?!". Thorax spits on the ground. Roaring at this point "You insult the Father of Battle, the King of Valor in a place of his worship?! The lawful worship of a righteous god is denied, but instead compared to the murder of children! What kind of man are you? Are you even really a man or some foul agent of chaos masquerading as a guard?!"
OOC: Righteous indignation really becomes Thorax :)

The guard squints his eyes, and glances over at the rest of his crew, he responds quietly and quickly, "No one is denying your worship. Yell again and you will spend tomorrow in the drunk tank. I made it clear to you, put down that tankard, head in and worship your god, or head home and sleep it off. Worship of every Diety, lawful or chaotic, is allowed, but no alcohol or drugs are allowed on the premise, and no sacrifices of living creatures in the Plinth. I've made you aware of the rules, if you can't follow them "lawfully", then you can't enter. I'm not aware of your god, but if he is lawful and good, then you should be able to follow these rules, which are here to protect everyone."

While he is speaking, the rest of his crew has fanned out, all of them have their hands at their weapons....

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#67 Post by ylinett »

Thorax gets real quiet, so quiet that only the guard can hear "You are a lout and a bully. You have disrespected me and all dwarves. You insult the god of valor and claim not to know even his name after comparing him to the most vile dieties you can. You attempt to deny me the vessels integral to worship and threaten me with false arrest and incarceration when you know full well I am sober. You wish to subdue me with the force of your fellow guards? Well let me tell you something". And now at maximum volume, hopefully he has leaned in " I AM BROTHER THORAX "THE BOAR" BRISTLEBEARD ALGAHOR OF CLANGEDDIN SILVERBEARD FATHER OF BATTLE KING OF VALOR AND WE NEVER BACK DOWN, WE NEVER SURENDER, AND WE NEVER COME QUIETLY."

Thorax will take two steps back and if the guards all advance will attempt to goad them into forming up single file and going one at a time. They should line up by seniority. After all it is only fair.

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#68 Post by ylinett »

P.S. Thorax will not sing to entice other dwarves to battle, nor will he draw a weapon. This is on him and him alone.

GreyWolfVT

#69 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble to the others in the apartment "Oh my I almost forgot to inform you all that I did meet up with our young mage Trevor from undermountain. He indicated he might have work for us and adventure of sorts." Glimble then retells the tale as Trevor said it.
Trevor leans back in his chair and peers up as a pair of pegasi dance in the sky above,"Thanks for the invitation to join you, but I think my adventures in Undermountain are over for now. I'd advise you to stay out of that place! Find some adventures in the north or even in the city! In fact if you are interested I might even have something for you"

He shifts about in the chair and looks back into the compound for a moment. "There have been a rash of corpses disappearing from the City of the Dead, Waterdeep's graveyard complex. Somebody even broke into the Irlingstar Mausoleum and absconded with my great, great, grandfather! He has a very expensive, and very magical, gilded helmet that means much to my father. We felt it was safe in the crypt, since we had placed many protective spells to prevent it from being removed from his head. I guess the spells we had laid over him to prevent him being raised as undead have failed! Anyway, my father is going on-and-on saying things like: we must take action immediately, house Irlingstar must NEVER be dishonored in this way and all sorts of things like that. We've already hired a diviner who is busy tracking down my great, great, grandfather the wight! Once he is located, which should be later today, we will need a group of adventurers to go reclaim him, knock him into a state of regular dead, collect his bones and the helm and bring him back to the family crypt where we can spend a boat load of money placing new wards over his bones!"
After telling the tale he perks up "I'm quite interested if you all are."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#70 Post by spanningtree »

Tella - Elf Mage

In response to Glimble's recount of his encounter with Trevor: Guaranteed encounters with the walking non-living.... she says with a shiver. Can't be worse than dragons I suppose, I'm in if the others are. Danger is danger I guess, probably get us in good with Trevor.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

Spiderdown
Tracker
Tracker

#71 Post by Spiderdown »

Trevor helped us well enough, and at least we have some idea of what to expect with his assignment, Muriel shrugs. The walking dead usually don't deal well with fire, which Tella has in spades, and we can probably prepare a bit better this time.

GreyWolfVT

#72 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble "True enough. Being the type of holy gnome I am my order does not have the ability to turn the dead but I've plenty of other means to harm the undead. I am sure our other cleric here can do what I cannot."

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by ybn1197 »

"Though I still have doubts about the man's metal, I think we should help him in this endeavor," Cormack grumbles. "The undead be a threat to all."

GreyWolfVT

#74 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble "While I don't share all of your thoughts Cormack I do agree the undead are a problem to everyone."

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#75 Post by Darkmane »

ylinett wrote:Thorax gets real quiet, so quiet that only the guard can hear "You are a lout and a bully. You have disrespected me and all dwarves. You insult the god of valor and claim not to know even his name after comparing him to the most vile dieties you can. You attempt to deny me the vessels integral to worship and threaten me with false arrest and incarceration when you know full well I am sober. You wish to subdue me with the force of your fellow guards? Well let me tell you something". And now at maximum volume, hopefully he has leaned in " I AM BROTHER THORAX "THE BOAR" BRISTLEBEARD ALGAHOR OF CLANGEDDIN SILVERBEARD FATHER OF BATTLE KING OF VALOR AND WE NEVER BACK DOWN, WE NEVER SURENDER, AND WE NEVER COME QUIETLY."

Thorax will take two steps back and if the guards all advance will attempt to goad them into forming up single file and going one at a time. They should line up by seniority. After all it is only fair.
Two of the guards in the back blow whistles and you vaguely remember others pulling forth nets and long clubs. As you prepare to engage them unarmed, suddenly you feel very tired as wave after wave of magical energy courses over you. Your eyes close and then blackness....

There is something cold on the side of your face. There are murmurs and grunts from around you and then someone grabs you roughly by the hand and pulls you to your feet. It is a scruffy looking dwarf who smells of pee, your back rests along cell bars at the edge of a large group cell.

"I sat by you as you slept father. None of these scum touched you" The dwarf says, this and points across the cell where you see a collection of snoring drunks, common street filth, and lady boys of the night. The dwarf slinks away from you, looking somewhat ashamed, and then lies along the side of the wall and quickly falls asleep. Suddenly a light cough startles you a bit, since it came so close to your face.

Turning you see a man dressed in a suit of the deepest purple, highlighted with ebony bands of silk. At his throat and fingers are gold and silver and his thinning hair is pulled back in a tight knot.

"So shameful of the Night Watch! Arresting a respectful member of Waterdavian clergy for merely trying to worship peacefully! If you'd like some legal help at your hearing, I'd work for free. I stand up for what I consider to be violations of civil liberties. My name is Jhaevis, and here is my card, if you ask at your hearing for counsel and ask specifically for me, they will stop the hearing and bring me to you before deciding anything. I can argue in your favor.

The man passes you a small card, which has his name and then, looking over quickly at the guardsmen who are coming nearer, he stands up tall and begins to walk away. As the guards pass him, you note that they mutter curses and then are looking over the cell trying to figure out who he had spoken to.

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#76 Post by ylinett »

Thorax carefully considered his next action. How had all of this come to pass? Well, maybe reflection could come later. He headed over to his dwarven companion and gently asks him "What name do you go by, and who is your clan? Tell me why you are here and I may be able to do something to help you."

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#77 Post by Darkmane »

"The name's Kurnick father, but I have no clan no more and I done bad to git meself into here. I'm still enough of a dwarf to recognize a true priest and help in time of need. Ifin you'd like to help me, pray to the lord of battles that I will redeem myself and die honorably some day, for now I'll be havin a nap, you can join me ifin you want."

A couple of hours go by (you can continue to converse with Kurnick if you'd like) and then a woman in a dark brown fur hooded cloak steps in with a pair of guardsman. One of the guards tells you to get up, and he has all of your stuff. They lead you out of the cells area and allow you to don all of your weapons and give you back all of your possessions and gold.

The woman pulls back her hood, and she is strikingly beautiful (by human standards, she is missing a beard, and might look better with some bushy eyebrows) and she begins talking:

"I go by the name Moonshine while working, and this is definitely a business trip. An agent of the lords of waterdeep sent me to get you out of jail. I'm not sure what you did to get in here, or why they are letting you out without a trial, but they told me to send you a message and give you this.

She hands you a bag of 50 Waterdavian Toals (they are a coin worth ~2gp in the city, but worthless outside her borders). You begin walking with her through a maze of tunnels with secret doors activated by guardsmen, which you feel are leading upward, and finally you come out onto the streets of waterdeep in Castle Ward, near the guards barracks, you aren't too far from your apartments.

"They said the coins are money to set up a shrine to your god, because the Plinth is now forbidden to you, if you return you will be imprisoned. They also told me that they respect and value adventurers, they believe your kind have purpose in the city. They hope you have a profitable time in Waterdeep, and stop getting in trouble with the guard! I'll just add, that if you aren't going to spend those coins on a shrine, you can come down and spend it on me, if you can find where I dance Sir Dwarf!"

With a wink, the woman turns to walk away and you catch a glimpse of her and find that she isn't wearing much under her fur cloak...

GreyWolfVT

#78 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Alright so this is still some 1 on 1 RPing so when the group is all back together I'll suggest we head off to locate the young mage for his quest.

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#79 Post by ylinett »

Thorax will speak with Kurnic and complete his daily prayers. Kurnic and anyone else is welcome to join. Prior to leaving Thorax will instruct Kurnic where to find him.

After leaving Thorax will head home. He will ask around about Taverns that might be suitable to establish a Temple to Clangeddin in. He can guarantee that not only will he cover the initial expenses, but it will bring in more business. Their furniture better be study and their ale dwarven, but other than that he will take care of the rest.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#80 Post by Darkmane »

OK Thorax: you guide Kurnick through his prayers, and you can tell he hasn't prayed in forever, he is forgetting all the most common recitations. Heading away from the guard barracks/jail area, you head back to the apartment where you find that the rest of your party has decided to take up Trevor Irlingstar's quest. Maybe we can pick up the creation of the Temple/Shrine RP after the next adventure thread.

The quest:

The next day, after all your purchases and preparations are complete, the whole party heads back up to the regal section of the Sea Ward, and after hours of the northwest corner of Sul Street and Delzorin Street where the Irlingstar Villa is located. The sky is grey and cloudy, and there is a strong, cold, breeze coming off the ocean, an arctic blast that carried down the sword coast. After getting through the guards, some of whom remember Glimble, you are led back into a nice room with marble columns, adjacent to the central atrium. Some guards are moving flower baskets further back away from the open, since a storm might be coming. Glimble notes that there are some neat arrangements of water collection tubes, made from a strange round tree that he doesn't recognize, which brings all the water that lands on on the roof tops of the central complex down into the attrium adding it to the central fountains, which pump water to all the other levels of the complex.

Trevor comes in briskly to meet you, he is wearing a soft leather vest and common breeches, and looks like he just came from a hike in the wilderness. "Well met again all, it is good to see you all looking hale and hearty, ready for more adventure! You've cleaned up well after your trip into the depths. Well, it seems you'd like to take us up on our offer to find my great, great grandfather! Just to remind you, it all started about a ten day ago when there were a rash of corpses disappearing from the City of the Dead, Waterdeep's graveyard complex.

Somebody even broke into the Irlingstar Mausoleum and absconded with my great, great, grandfather's corpse! He has a very expensive, and very magical, gilded helmet that means much to my father. We felt it was safe in the crypt, since we had placed many protective spells to prevent it from being removed from his head. I guess the spells we had laid over him to prevent him being raised as undead have failed! My father hired a diviner who created, this... finding stone which when grasped in hand gives you a direction to follow in order to track down my great, grandfather. We want his bones, and the magical gilded helmet delivered back here and we will pay your part a lump sum of 10,000 gold pieces. Any questions?

Return to “Under Streets of Splendor (2ed)”