3-Return to the Surface (Roleplaying in Waterdeep)

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: 3-Return to the Surface (Roleplaying in Waterdeep)

#81 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble "Yes Trevor, will anyone else be accompanying us on this adventure? Will we be needing anything to get into the area of the crypt?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#82 Post by spanningtree »

Tella - Elf mage

Getting a bit wide eyed at the amount: Aye, that sounds like a sum appropriate for dealing with the walking dead. Hopefully, no dragons this time. She will say with a smirk.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#83 Post by Darkmane »

Trevor laughs, "Good question, we don't have resources right now to send additional men with you. I could give you 100 gp upfront to help pay for food, and also to hire additional men, if you can find them. Spring trading season is in full swing and hired hands are few and far between.

You shouldn't need to enter the crypt unless you think it will be important to gather facts for your investigation. This sensing stone is leading us out of the city and south. I'm not sure why. We might be able to round up some horses and ponies for you to borrow during this outing.

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#84 Post by ylinett »

"Aye, I have a question. What exactly does this helm do? What protections were overcome? And could this helm be used by an undead being?"

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#85 Post by Darkmane »

ylinett wrote:"Aye, I have a question. What exactly does this helm do? What protections were overcome? And could this helm be used by an undead being?"
"Another good question, I knew you were the right team for the job! The helm is a very ornate gold with platinum and silver chasing, which has power over air. We didn't have good records on all of its abilities, great, great, grandpa was secretive, but I do know it allowed the user to fly, change the weather, create bursts of wind, and maybe other powers. Definitely do not shoot magical lightning at the wearer, it will absorb the lightning to power itself. It may also have some other electrical abilities. The passive effects will continuously work but the active powers would only be useful to something with intelligence.

About the protection spells laid upon my grandfather, they were performed years ago, by lawful wizards and clerics from the orders of Waterdeep. I know that the most powerful of these, prevented the helm from being removed from his skull. Other protective wards stopped entry into the grave site and also prevented raising my grandfather as an undead being but somehow they were overcome!

We've heard rumors, now these are just rumor, not fact.... that there is a powerful necromancer assembling an undead army in the north. He has been scouring ancient dungeons, looking for corpses, and magical items to aid him and his apprentices. No one knows were he comes from or what his intent is, but it is rumored he has an artifact granting him the ability to raise undead at amazingly fast rates! My father suspects that this necromancer is involved ing asince several of our caravan masters are reporting about attacks by undead recently.

I however, am blaming, my great, great, great, great, grandfather is the captain of a ghost ship that prowls the sword coast near to Waterdeep. This fact, while discussed throughout the taverns of Waterdeep is not something we typically discuss, since it brings deep shame down upon our family name. It is possible that my ghostly ancestor is involved in whatever is going on..."

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#86 Post by spanningtree »

Tella - Mage

Powerful necromancer... that would be worse than a dragon, we will need to tread lightly.

GreyWolfVT

#87 Post by GreyWolfVT »

"I agree this would be far more dangerous than what we have already dealt with."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#88 Post by ylinett »

"I accept. Who is with me?"

GreyWolfVT

#89 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble "Do forgive my tone I was just put things into context to the danger at hand. I am still going to do this for you. I am still in as I was the day you told me of this."
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Tue May 20, 2014 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#90 Post by spanningtree »

Tella - Mage

Aye, I'm in.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by ybn1197 »

Sorry, been sick and had no desire to sit in front of the computer.

Cormack grumbles, "Aye, count me in." He looks at Trevor square in the face. "We may have our differences, but I'll stand by ye to fight the living dead and defend family honor any day." He places his open hand to see if Trevor will accept it.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#92 Post by Darkmane »

OK, I'll move things forward tomorrow morning.

Trevor will give you the Finding Stone and the 100gp to purchase needed equipment. You will all be given riding horses (or hardy ponies for the short of stature). They can also furnish a small cart which can ride 2-3 persons and handle a couple hundred pounds of goods.

You guys can start planning out what you want to spend the 100gp on. Tomorrow I'll start to describe your journey. We can figure out the equipment you purchased in the OOC thread while we roleplay the trip in here.

GreyWolfVT

#93 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble "Oh Trevor there is one more thing. Would it be possible to have some of your servants or guards take care of our apartment while we take care of this quest for you?"

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#94 Post by ylinett »

Thorax quietly chuckles to himself. As if we have anything of worth to guard. That day he will look to see if he can find his new friend Kurnik to bring as a hireling and will make sure to pray for appropriate spells for fighting undead.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#95 Post by Darkmane »

Thorax:

While the others are gathering supplies, you track down Kurnick. You didn't have to look far. Just by popping your head into the notorious tavern "The Bowels of the Earth" nearby your apartment, after receiving several ugly stares from the patrons, you see Kurnick on a bench in the back, with his feet up, sipping from a large tankard of ale.

You propose an adventure to him, and he stares you down and asks, "where are you going? Aye, yes, I could use the coin, but there are a couple er spots along ar sword coast I'll never return." (we can run this RP in parallel with the trip below, if you succeed in talking the dwarf into joining you, it will increase your provision costs and he will likely want some kind of pay beyond food)

The Journey:

Trip preparations: iron rations that don't spoil are ~1 gp/day/person - so 6gp/day for your group. Grain for your horses will cost an additional 2gp/day. So you guys can decide how many days you'd like to prepare for at 8gp/day for the whole company.

After completing the necessary trip preparations, Tella takes the Finding Stone in hand and focuses her mind on it. After a few seconds, she gets a feeling that what you are looking for is far away, and to the southeast.

You leave the city as a group, departing from Waterdeep, leaving from the massive South Gates. The road south, known as the Trade Way, is easy travel, broad and flat, and filled with caravans and carts the whole way. Some of them even try to sell you things or get news from you as they pass. From time to time, you also pass armed, mounted, warriors bearing the sigils of Waterdeep, riding the roads, keeping the peace.

Spring is in full season in the north, and during the first four days of your trip, each morning is hot and humid, followed by afternoon thunder showers. The thundershowers slow you down slightly, but aren't much of a nuisance. As you get further and further from Waterdeep, traffic begins to get more and more sparse, as do the small thorps and farming villages that once littered the sides of the road, and the mounted Waterdavian guards get more spread out also. Every several hours, Tella uses the stone again and it keeps directing you south and east. To the east is a large forest known as Ardeep Woods, and to the West is the sea, although the tradeway drifts further and further inland for a while during the trip so you lose sight of the water.

Finally, on the fifth day of travel, the Trade Way brings you to a walled community known as Daggerford. The town seems friendly to travelers and more importantly, when Tella uses the finding stone, it directs you off the road, to the east. Daggerford may be the last vestige of civilization you may see before heading into the wilderness! Let me know if you'd like to explore the town before heading off into the country side.

You have used 5 days of rations and grain for your horses so far. Daggerford has trading centers, and at a minimum, you can resupply as needed.

GreyWolfVT

#96 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble will resupply in Daggerford.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by ybn1197 »

Cormack will resupply as well but has no interest in exploring the town.

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#98 Post by ylinett »

"I have a feeling you're a good one to have around. Don't rightly know where we are headed. But I can assure you a chance to earn some coin. Once I get back I intend on establishing a place where we dwarves can gather and drink in worship of Clangeddin. And I know you wouldn't want me to die before that happens."

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#99 Post by spanningtree »

Tella - Mage

Tella will also re-supply in Daggerford. I have been to this town before but not to where the stone is directing us. She will spend a few gold at a common travellers Inn too see if there has any noticeable activity also going to the east into the woods.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#100 Post by Darkmane »

spanningtree wrote:Tella - Mage

Tella will also re-supply in Daggerford. I have been to this town before but not to where the stone is directing us. She will spend a few gold at a common travellers Inn too see if there has any noticeable activity also going to the east into the woods.
In addition to having a square for trading and a "general" store, there are two smithies (one owned by a dwarf), a gnomish jeweler, and three shrines/temples: Chauntea, Tempus, and a broken-down temple to Lathander. There are a couple of taverns, The Happy Cow, and The Lady Luck Inn & Tavern, and the River Shining Tavern which seems upscale/expensive.

After picking a place to visit, roll 3d6 vs your charisma score for rumors.
ylinett wrote:"I have a feeling you're a good one to have around. Don't rightly know where we are headed. But I can assure you a chance to earn some coin. Once I get back I intend on establishing a place where we dwarves can gather and drink in worship of Clangeddin. And I know you wouldn't want me to die before that happens."
Kurnick looks at you and you can tell he just isn't ready to give up pitying himself. Idont want to die before the temple is built, but aye think I'd just slow you down. I'm not ready to pick up me sword yet... sorry father. He sips his ale and looks at the fire sullenly.

Return to “Under Streets of Splendor (2ed)”