2-Down the well, into UnderMountain (first trip)

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 2-Down the well, into UnderMountain (first trip)

#461 Post by ybn1197 »

Cormack - Dwarven Fighter 23/28

A smile comes to Cormack's lips and a gleam lights up in his eyes. "Aye, my gnomish friend. Orcs serve no better purpose than target practice." Cormack hefts his axe and prepares to charge into the orcs as soon as Glimble has fired his weapon.

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#462 Post by ylinett »

"If one of you throws oil I will command them to immolate themselves."

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#463 Post by Darkmane »

Fighting Fire with Fire

Since the orcs saw you as you saw them, there is no surprise on either end.

As Muriel backs out of the hallway, Tella will cast a flaming sphere into the corridor, positioned to hit them if they try to pass.

If they break through her spell, they will come pouring into the room, and there will be a general melee.

Any missile attacks will strike first, followed by melee attacks - I think only Glimble will be using a missile attack?

Anyway the tide of battle is losed, you may begin rolling melee attacks against the orcs, I'll begin round 1 tomorrow morning.

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#464 Post by ylinett »

If someone throws oil Thorax will use his spell command on a torchbearing orc. Otherwise battle Axe away!

Roll to hit [1d20] = 2

Ugh. Let's hope we don't have to rely on that.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#465 Post by GreyWolfVT »

the roller sucks rolled three attacks and they all generally suck....

Glimble shot for ranged miss

Arquebus For Hit:[1d20] = 9 Thaco=20 All Dmg:[1d10] = 5

for the first time his weapon has failed him.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#467 Post by Darkmane »

Round 1

Tella grits her teeth in concentration as she summons forth a ball of flame and through focus sends it directly into the oncoming wave of orcs. They crash into the fireball moments before pouring into the room and she is pretty sure at least a pair of them died instantly as they passed right through the center of the fire.

Most of the orcs do the best they can to leap around the ball of fire, although bits of their armor are burning as they charge forth. Suddenly a deafening crack rebounds down through the large room as Glimbles firearm is discharged into their ranks killing one of the orcs that just made it through the fire (I gave you the benefit of firing into a crowd).

As the orcs pour into the room, Muriel strikes into the first of them with her swords, slashing at the pig faced monster with a double attack. Her longsword connects with the beasts face, dispatching him instantly, but her shortsword hand accidently strikes a piece of the orcs armor, and she drops her shortsword! critical miss!

Thorax leaps into the fray as ~10 orcs pile into the room, but is unable to connect on one of them in the opening moments. The orcs begin attacking at all of you with flaming clubs! Then in the background you see a horrifying sight. Behind all the orcs that have yet to make it into the room, you catch a glimpse of blackened red scales, something long and snakelike, lean and fluid, moving in graceful bounding steps, as if herding the orcs into the flaming sphere. It is a red dragon! Perhaps 20 feet long, with a long tail and wings, and gleaming horns, and claws and ivory teeth. Although it is small, it looks experienced and somehow older than you would expect for its size?

***I'll update this post tomorrow morning, giving the results of the Orc Attacks and resolving actions for Cormack and Dagmar (I'd like to give them the chance to make their own attacks) Cormack and Dagmar, feel free to describe actions for round 1 and 2, since I'll probably try to resolve round 2 on Friday or Sat. everybody else can start thinking about round 2 actions or even make rolls.****

GreyWolfVT

#468 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble not at all looking as surprised as say the doubtful comrades of his who seriously doubted a dragon could fit down here says "Well it is a shame I am not a betting gnome as I'd be owed a debt by you doubters. I knew Trevor could be trusted in this instance now what we have a fight with orcs but that dragon I imagine can take us all." he then attempts his next action by taking out his little mace newly acquired from a dead orc.

Footman's Mace Hit[1d20-2] = 20-2 = 18 Damage[1d6+1] = 5+1 = 6 attacking the closest orc to me.

Darkmane thanks for the benefit of the doubt with that crowd shot. Holly heck I hit with a weapon I am not proficient in. :shock: :D
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#469 Post by ybn1197 »

Round 1:
Cormack holds his battle ax behind him, ready to swing. As the orcs come bounding into the room, he strikes out with the ax.
Battle Axe - To hit: [1d20+1] = 14+1 = 15 Damage: [1d8+2] = 3+2 = 5

Round 2:
Cormack will continue the fight.
Battle Axe - To hit: [1d20+1] = 4+1 = 5 Damage: [1d8+2] = 8+2 = 10

Spiderdown
Tracker
Tracker

#470 Post by Spiderdown »

Muriel - 6/10hp

The spry elf strikes again, hoping to thin the numbers charging through the door.

Longsword: [1d20] = 5 vs. THACO 19 / damage [1d8] = 3

Still keeping Shocking Grasp back for when the little dragon turns up...

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#471 Post by spanningtree »

Tella - Elf Mage 13/14

Tella will back the flaming sphere up into the rear of ranks of the Orcs that bypassed it. She will try to keep it at a distance where it will do as much damage as possible to them but no damage to her comrades. Eeee-gads, it did get worse. Trevor, return and help us!! She will scream with little hope.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#472 Post by Darkmane »

Round 1 - part 2

adding in Cormack and Dagmar's attacks, near bottom. I'll knock out round 2 tomorrow morning.

Tella grits her teeth in concentration as she summons forth a ball of flame and through focus sends it directly into the oncoming wave of orcs. They crash into the fireball moments before pouring into the room and she is pretty sure at least a pair of them died instantly as they passed right through the center of the fire.

Most of the orcs do the best they can to leap around the ball of fire, although bits of their armor are burning as they charge forth. Suddenly a deafening crack rebounds down through the large room as Glimbles firearm is discharged into their ranks killing one of the orcs that just made it through the fire (I gave you the benefit of firing into a crowd).

As the orcs pour into the room, Muriel strikes into the first of them with her swords, slashing at the pig faced monster with a double attack. Her longsword connects with the beasts face, dispatching him instantly, but her shortsword hand accidently strikes a piece of the orcs armor, and she drops her shortsword! critical miss!

Thorax leaps into the fray as ~10 orcs pile into the room, but is unable to connect on one of them in the opening moments. The orcs begin attacking at all of you with flaming clubs! At his side Cormack takes out another orc with his axe, and Dagmar kills another with a shortsword, reducing the number of orcs in the room to eight. Your party has already killed 6 orcs!
The orcs retaliate with the flaming clubs in a flurry of attacks: 2 orcs on Thorax, 2 orcs on Dagmar, 2 orcs on Cormack, 1 on Muriel, and 1 on Glimble. Glimble is struck for 3 damage, Thorax for 2 damage, and the orc on Muriel drops his club after the flames drip down and singe his fingers! (critical miss!)

Then in the background you see a horrifying sight. Behind all the orcs that have yet to make it into the room, you catch a glimpse of blackened red scales, something long and snakelike, lean and fluid, moving in graceful bounding steps, as if herding the orcs into the flaming sphere. It is a red dragon! Perhaps 20 feet long, with a long tail and wings, and gleaming horns, and claws and ivory teeth. Although it is small, it looks experienced and somehow older than you would expect for its size?

***I'll move on to Round 2 tomorrow morning since i have actions from quite a few of you. You figure there are approximately 12-14 more orcs that will be charging into the room next round (if they survive the flaming sphere).***

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#473 Post by ylinett »

Thorax shouts "For Clangeddin!" And swings twice more. Looking for an opening he attempts to maneuver to the side for the passage. He will attempt to chop at the dragon as soon as it's head pokes by.

Roll to hit [1d20] = 8 Roll for damage [1d8+5] = 1+5 = 6
Roll to hit [1d20] = 16Roll for damage [1d8+5] = 6+5 = 11

GreyWolfVT

#474 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Round 2 action for Glimble still
GreyWolfVT wrote:Glimble not at all looking as surprised as say the doubtful comrades of his who seriously doubted a dragon could fit down here says "Well it is a shame I am not a betting gnome as I'd be owed a debt by you doubters. I knew Trevor could be trusted in this instance now what we have a fight with orcs but that dragon I imagine can take us all." he then attempts his next action by taking out his little mace newly acquired from a dead orc.

Footman's Mace Hit[1d20-2] = 20-2 = 18 Damage[1d6+1] = 5+1 = 6 attacking the closest orc to me.

Darkmane thanks for the benefit of the doubt with that crowd shot. Holly heck I hit with a weapon I am not proficient in. :shock: :D

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#475 Post by spanningtree »

OCC: I did not understand that there were more orcs trying to make it into the room, Tella will keep the sphere parked in the portal/doorway to make their entry painful.
spanningtree wrote:Tella - Elf Mage 13/14

Tella will back the flaming sphere up into the rear of ranks of the Orcs that bypassed it. She will try to keep it at a distance where it will do as much damage as possible to them but no damage to her comrades. Eeee-gads, it did get worse. Trevor, return and help us!! She will scream with little hope.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

Spiderdown
Tracker
Tracker

#476 Post by Spiderdown »

Muriel seeks to skewer the next flame-seared orc!

Longsword: [1d20] = 7 vs THACO 19, damage [1d8] = 3

That sword better be magic with the rolls I'm getting...

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#477 Post by ybn1197 »

Spurned on by felling the first orc and Thorax's chanting, Cormack continues to wade through the on-rushing orcs, swinging his axe from side to side, clearing a way for the others.

Attack #1: Battle Axe - To hit: [1d20+1] = 4+1 = 5 Damage: [1d8+2] = 8+2 = 10 Not that it matters but this should have been a 6 to hit and 12 damage.

Attack #2: Battle Axe - To hit: [1d20+2] = 14+2 = 16 Damage: [1d8+4] = 2+4 = 6

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#478 Post by Darkmane »

Round 2

With great heaves of his axe, Thorax cleaves another orc down, and ignoring another crack to the body of a flaming brand (2 points of damage) he shoves back the other orc attacking him and flies toward the door to meet the onrush of enemies.

Tella pushes the flaming sphere as best she can against the tide of orcs as the hallway fills with growing smoke and a gathering crimson light from the oncoming dragon. Four more orcs enter the room, leaping over the bodies of the burnt orcs and through the fireball to charge into the room directly in front of Thorax. Suddenly Thorax bumps into something that should not be there? And seconds later, the door slams shut? And then the edge of the door glows for a moment, a dark green hazy light which quickly fades away.

Most of you hardly notice the door slamming, as a crowd of orcs with flaming clubs swarm around you. Dagmar and Cormack each kill an orc, but both take hits in the battle Dagmar 4pts of damage, Cormack 3 pts of damage. Glimble knocks out the orc that leaped forward to attack him, dealing the damage with an unfamiliar weapon! Muriel engages in a quick flurry of strikes and parries with an orc, but is unable to connect.

One of the orcs also smacks Tella on the back with a flaming brand, nearly catching her clothes on fire! 5 damage! And the new orcs that engaged with Thorax smack him several more times with there clubs ( for a combined total of 6 HP).

Summary:
You killed 3 more orcs this round. There are 9 more orcs left in the room: 1 on Dagmar, 2 on Cormack, 1 on Tella, 4 on Thorax, and 1 coming at Glimble next round. Something invisible shut the door and stopped the rest of the orcs, and dragon, from running in?

Dagmar: HP - 18/22
Glimble: HP - 20/24
Tella: HP - 8/14
Muriel: HP- 6/10
Thorax: HP - 7/23
Cormack: HP - 20/28

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#479 Post by ylinett »

Thorax will spend the entire round on the defensive. He needs time for the others to kill their orcs and assist. Casting or attacking will leave him too exposed at this point.

GreyWolfVT

#480 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble at great risk to himself casts Aid on Cormack. "Cormack may the powers of Gond aid thee in this battle!" he says with a flourished wave of his one hand containing the mace.

Aid to Cormack[1d8] = 5 Added to HP for Cormack

+1 to attack rolls and saving throws and a special bonus of 1d8 additional hit points for the duration of the spell. The aid spell
enables the recipient to actually have more hit points than his full normal total. The bonus hit points are lost first when the recipient
takes damage; they cannot be regained by curative magic. The only confusion for me is this spell does not say he has to not be in combat to get the benefits?

Return to “Under Streets of Splendor (2ed)”