2-Down the well, into UnderMountain (first trip)

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: 2-Down the well, into UnderMountain (first trip)

#481 Post by spanningtree »

Tella - Mage 8/14

Tella will concentrate on the orc attacking her, trying her best to dodge and stay alive.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#482 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble mid battle "I suspect that invisible thing might be of Trevor's work or maybe he turned one of his dwarf companions invisible."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Spiderdown
Tracker
Tracker

#483 Post by Spiderdown »

Suddenly free, Muriel jumps to Thorax' defense with an elfy snarl!

Longsword: [1d20] = 11 vs. THACO 19, damage [1d8] = 3

Muriel is not speculating right now on what closed the door; she assumes it's now held or wizard locked, but that won't keep a dragon out for more than a round or two.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#484 Post by Darkmane »

Round 3

Squaring off against 4 orcs, Thorax takes on a fully defensive stance, his dwarven war axe flinging about desperately. The orcs attack him, but aren't able to get past his defense. They keep pressing on, and he knows he won't be able to hold them off forever. Suddenly, at his side, Trevor appears into view, swinging a saber into the back of an orcs neck, dispatching him instantly!

Trevor yells out"I couldn't leave you all to face the dragon that I enraged! Quick! Let's kill these orcs and get out of here, my hold spell won't last long against that dragon!"

Meanwhile, in the center of the battle, Dagmar and Cormack attack the orcs trying to dispatch them quickly so they can help the spell casters. Cormack, charged up with magical power and a dose of dwarven spite, is able to kill both of the orcs with mighty blows (natural 20! so I gave him another attack for being a Bad @$$) Dagmar is hit for 6 damage! with a flaming brand, and some of his equipment and clothes are now aflame

Dagmar attack 1[1d20] = 9, attack 2[1d20] = 4

Cormack attacks an orc [1d20] = 20
e: Cormack momentum attack [1d20] = 11

Muriel's "elfy snarl" (lol) distracts her orc, and she stabs him in the chest with her magical sword, she can already notice that it's magic is helping her connect in situations where she might of missed. The weapon just feels natural in her grip.

Tella was able to dodge all the attacks from her orc, but Glimble did get struck 2 damage but got his spell off before that happened.

*Glimble, I didn't want to go find my PHB so I allowed the Aid spell in mid-combat*

Summary:

Your party (plus Trevor) killed 4 more orcs, leaving you with 5 orcs left:

2 on Trevor and Thorax and Muriel - near the door
1 on Dagmar
1 on Glimble
1 on Tella

Dagmar: HP - 12/22
Glimble: HP - 18/24
Tella: HP - 8/14
Muriel: HP- 6/10
Thorax: HP - 7/23
Cormack: HP - 20/28

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#485 Post by spanningtree »

Tella - Mage 8/14

Tella will cast continual light on her assailants eyes.

OCC: From the PHB: When cast at a creature, the target gets a saving throw vs. spell; success indicates that the spell affects the space about 1 foot behind the creature instead. Note that this spell can also blind a creature if it is successfully cast upon the creature's visual organs, reducing its attack rolls, saving throws, and Armor Class by 4.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#486 Post by ybn1197 »

Cormack - Dwarven Fighter 25 (20) / 28

Letting out a dwarven war howl akin to a berserker, Cormack looks about for the next orc to slay. Spotting Tella and the orc attacking her, he rushes over, swinging his axe wildly.

Attack #1: Battle Axe: [1d20+2] = 2+2 = 4 Damage:[1d8+4] = 8+4 = 12 Attack is a 5; forgot the Aid spell

Attack #2: Battle Axe: [1d20+2] = 14+2 = 16 Damage:[1d8+4] = 6+4 = 10 Attack is a 17; forgot the Aid spell

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#487 Post by Darkmane »

Round 4 - Finishing off the Orcs:

DM rolls for Players
The tide of battle turns with the appearance of Trevor, and the door now shut with the rest of the orcs and the dragon trapped out in the hallway with a flaming sphere!

In a few more moments your party quickly dispatches the remaining 5 orcs (who were all wounded from the flaming sphere). In fact, you take down the orcs so quickly, that none of you take any more damage. Tella - you didn't need to use your spell in the end, the party dispatched the orcs too quickly.

This leaves your party alone in the room, the flaming clubs from the orcs keeping the space well-lit. Trevor looks about wildly, chest heaving from battle. "Let's go quick, it worries me that we haven't heard any thumps on the door. I wonder if there is another way around to the north. The dragon may be gathering more servant orcs as we speak. We can't kill all the orcs in Undermountain. We must go through the black curtain, and get out of here through the well. The faster we are in the Yawning Portal, the BETTER!"

With that, he makes for the door, motioning for you to follow him.

*Additional note: your party killed around 20 orcs in 4 rounds, with just a little help from Trevor!*

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#488 Post by spanningtree »

Tella - Elf Mage 8/14

That sounds legitimate, very similar to how we came in this place. She will follow after Trevor.

Spiderdown
Tracker
Tracker

#489 Post by Spiderdown »

Muriel - 6/10 hp

Agreed, let's get out of here, Muriel follows.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#490 Post by ybn1197 »

Cormack - Dwarven Fighter 25 (20) / 28

Nearly consumed with the knowledge that the group had taken on 20 orcs and dispatched them all with little injury to themselves, Cormack was torn between standing his ground and fleeing with Trevor. But seeing the others already departing, Cormack knew his was no match for what lie beyond the door. At least not without everyone else. With a loud "Bah!" he follows Trevor.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#491 Post by Darkmane »

Following Trevor you hurry back up toward the area you were trapped in by the White Stone Block, and then you run down the hallway toward the black curtain, and you watch as Trevor leaps through it. Following hesitantly, you find that it is not a teleport, but just a trick... You step through into what seems to be the same hallway, but there seems to be a silence spell such that one side cannot hear the other.

Continuing down the hallway, you come to a set of double doors, and Trevor halts for a moment. He looks back and calls out, "This is the room of the snake lady statues, a landmark of sorts, she is connected to wild magic, run at full speed in this room and dodge all effects!"

With that, he turns and runs into the room. The rest of you follow him into a room with vaulted ceilings reaching up at least 50 feet, you can barely see them. However, nearer the far end of the room is a statue perhaps 20 feet high of a nude female, arms upraised, and bearing the head of a snake? About her head and arms the air seems to shift and play with your eyes, like heat in a desert or from a fire. From this swirling air, from time to time, magical bolts fly forth, striking the walls and some tumble at your party. You manage to dodge all the bolts, but gods know what would have happened if you had been hit. Some areas of the walls were blackened, like struck with acid, other areas had sprouted grass or flowers, other areas had skins or snouts, or mounths, you think maybe one of the spots was speaking to you!

Moving on past that room, the rest of your trip is a blur of corridors leading you back to the original rooms that you entered the dungeon from. And moments later you are back at the entry well. You scream up to Durnan, and a little later the rope drops down and you are all being hauled back up to the surface, with one cleric of Tymora in tow.

Back in the Yawning Portal, after paying your 1gp toll to get hauled back up, you are toasted with drinks from several of the patrons. The cleric of Tymora on staff warms up to you instantly for rescuing the body of a cleric from the faith.

***OK, your first trip into Undermountain is over! You guys made it out in one piece! Tomorrow I'll update your experience, and we can start a little roleplaying in the Yawning Portal around the cleric, and if you'd like to speak more to Trevor. Also, start thinking about whether you'd like to do any more business in the city, before tyring another round at undermountain? You've got a little treasure now, so if you'd like to split it up, offer me a plan, and let me know who keeps what.****

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#492 Post by GreyWolfVT »

sorry was moving all weekend and had to take care of a sick wife yesterday. No internet at home as of yet but I'll post from work like I was before. Glimble would have attacked some more but thanks for just moving along. ;)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Return to “Under Streets of Splendor (2ed)”