1-First Nights in the City

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: 1-First Nights in the City

#41 Post by GreyWolfVT »

"Ah yes if we find any treasure we could at least share the tale with you and show you what we found, perhaps at a later hour such as now when there are less eyes to be watching. Who knows I would be Gond willing happy to share my portion of treasure with you for such information." Glimble states openly.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#42 Post by ylinett »

"The night is closing in and their thoughts are my own. Let's head back and sleep and tackle this quest well rested."

Spiderdown
Tracker
Tracker

#43 Post by Spiderdown »

My vote's for the Undermountain, and some runic antiquities for our friend the sage, Muriel states her intention. I love a good story, but I also need some money and that sounds like both to me.

GreyWolfVT

#44 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Spiderdown wrote:My vote's for the Undermountain, and some runic antiquities for our friend the sage, Muriel states her intention. I love a good story, but I also need some money and that sounds like both to me.
"Yes that is truth you speak Muriel, but I think it all will be there still tomorrow night as well. I would like to at least rest once in a nice room back at the Inn before delving into undermountain." Glimble says with a yawn.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#45 Post by spanningtree »

Tella - Mage

Aye, a decent bed for an eve. Been to long. Let's head back, get a nights rest and then head over to the Yawning Portal in the morn. She will say with a smile.

On the trip back to the inn: That reminds me, I'm going to inventory my pack tonight and make sure I have everything I need for the underground. Can anyone think of anything we might not have that we'll need before jumping into the abyss? We can pick it up in the morn before making our way there.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

GreyWolfVT

#46 Post by GreyWolfVT »

"It all depends Tella, what exactly you plan to be doin' underground. Personally a light source and a trusty weapon is mostly the important parts. If you mean to be mining, or getting samples of things a pick, hammer and chisel or spike is handy as well as containers to place them in. A bit of food and water is wise like any adventure or trek. Other than that have your wits about you and folk familiar with the underground and you should be in good shape Tella." Glimble says with a nod and another yawn.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#47 Post by spanningtree »

Tella - Mage

Engaging the party: If anyone is short of delving items that might come in handy I can spot you some gold to shore up yer inventory.

OCC: As the mage said, if anyone is short of gold and needs some extra hoopla let me know. At least we have infravision all around. :)

GreyWolfVT

#48 Post by GreyWolfVT »

"One thing I did think of that might be handy instead of these dreadful torches we might invest in a couple lanterns even though we all have infravison. I find lantern light to be nice when searching in the underground." Glimble will state as they walk back to the Inn.

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#49 Post by Distorted Humor »

GreyWolfVT wrote:"One thing I did think of that might be handy instead of these dreadful torches we might invest in a couple lanterns even though we all have infravison. I find lantern light to be nice when searching in the underground." Glimble will state as they walk back to the Inn.
The Ranger says "I have a lantern, though I would like if someone else carried it." Patting his two swords.

GreyWolfVT

#50 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Distorted Humor wrote: The Ranger says "I have a lantern, though I would like if someone else carried it." Patting his two swords.
"I could do that for ya. After all I don't use my Arquebus all that often, I'm afraid I might shoot my nose off one of these days. So I just need a hand ready to use my trusty Flail." Glimble chuckles when he mentions the nose shooting then pats his flail at the end of his statement. Then he starts chuckling again thinking about his flail and says "Though I have hit myself in the ol' schnozzola with me flail a time or two before."

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#51 Post by Darkmane »

It's good to sleep in comfortable bed, with a fire, when it is cold outside. You awake to a Waterdeep wreathed in white. Roughly one foot of snow has fallen overnight, and already you hear the city bustling about in the streets. There are men with shovels and huge carts moving snow out of the largest streets, while you can see folks just force trails through the smaller alleys about the BlackStar.

It's quiet in the Inn when you awake. The guards are changing shifts once again, and they are drinking tea and they have put out tea and cakes in the lobby for the guests. A young receptionist boy, thanks you for your patronage, and advises you to book your rooms again early since they will be filling up for the holiday festivities tomorrow.

You hit the streets throughout the morning, and travel is quite slow. You are able to find several markets and small shops where you pick up the last items you feel you need. You eat lunch from carts in the city; fresh tropical fruit, meat pies, fresh cheese, bread, and more awaits at every corner in the trade ward. The whole city crawling with trade, and everywhere is the sound of commerce.

In the late afternoon you are finally ready to venture over to the Yawning Portal. It takes you a while to find it in all the snow, but it actually wasn't that far away from the Blackstar Inn. It is nested next to a house of pleasure (Mother Salinka's) and another bar called the Empty Keg. Heading inside you find a large well lit tap room, with carved wood panelling and heavy wooden columns. It has a frame and timber feel which you normally see in the rural north, where trees are abundant. It is fairly busy even though it is mid afternoon, and most of the partrons are at a long bar, over 50 ft in length, where a young girl likely in her teens is serving them beer. Some of them are eating pickled eggs and fish and a few of them eye your party quickly, watching as you enter.

However your eyes are quickly pulled to the center of all the tables, wherein lies a massive stone well, 40 feet across! It is lined with torches which hang slightly over the edge of the well, lighting the entrance to Undermountain. As you move into the bar to examine this large well, another man comes out from the back rolling a keg. He stands over 6ft tall and is well-muscled, he wears a simple tunic and clean black apron, but at his throat and ears are rich jewelry, and he has his sleeves rolled up revealing gold inlaid bracers. He pats the young girl on the head, tussing up her hair and looks over the bar noticing you all. Welcoming you over with a wave, he says,"My name is Durnan, and I own the portal. Are you here to drink, or to go down the well? You have the look of adventurers. My fee is 1gp for entry down into the well, and 1gp to return to the surface. I have a priest of Tymora, Themras is on call today, in the bar at all times to heal the injured although he takes "donations" from those he services with the lady's magic."

As he is talking to you, you overhear several of the partrons, discussing your weapons and armor, betting on you: "if they go down there, 5gp says they never come up", "I'll take that bet, they look pretty hardy", "not a single one of them in plate armor, no chance!", "Well, you don't need plate armor if you are quick enough", "Olphas, maybe you should try to sell them that scroll of yours, it hasn't worked on the last three parties", etc...

GreyWolfVT

#52 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Darkmane so even though a Magnifying Glass costs 100gp how do I get that with only 48gp. ;)

Glimble looks around and listens to the side conversations and bets upon the party. "My isn't this place all a bustle and I wounder how many of the folk placing bets upon us now have ever been down the well themselves?"

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#53 Post by Darkmane »

[quote="GreyWolfVT"]Darkmane so even though a Magnifying Glass costs 100gp how do I get that with only 48gp. ;)

Ummm, find more gold? :?

Looking over the crowd and trying to listen in, there seem to be three groups: there is a group of adventures who are very inexperienced and probably have never gone down the well they seem to be surrounding this Olphas fellow who might be a mage, the second group seem to be a combination of adventurer groupies and folks trying to make a buck selling adventueres stuff (a man with some torches is trying to push his way over toward you right now), the final pair sit alone at the end of the bar. Those two are an odd pair, one of them has the shaved head of a monk or cleric, the other wears fur lined leathers and has a broadsword at his belt, his black hair is cut into a Mohawk and he has a shield sitting near him on the floor. They seem to be discussing something and sipping ale.

Spiderdown
Tracker
Tracker

#54 Post by Spiderdown »

Going down first, Durnan, we'll have a drink when we come back. Muriel pays the fee and goes to look down the well.

Paid 1 gp.
Last edited by Spiderdown on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreyWolfVT

#55 Post by GreyWolfVT »

"Why good sir yes we intend to go down the well. We'll be coming back as well." with that statement Glimble will pay to go down and will be the next to go down if anyone currently is going down. "When we get back, I'll take the winnings of them bets." Glimble says with a smile and a wink. ;) "My appologies Durnan, would you require return payment now or later? Oh and do give Themras his next drink or meal payments on me as a sign of thanks." Glimble will toss Durnan the 1gp to go down and await to know how much more for the drink or meal to Themras and if he needs the other 1gp for the return trip.

1gp removed.
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#56 Post by spanningtree »

Tella - Mage

Taking it all in: What a splendid... unique place. Approaching Durnan she places a a single gold on the bar: You must be proud to own such a establishment. Can't say as I've seen the like in all the realm. I intend to owe you another gold in the near future... do you have any advice for the person/party that has not done this before? She will say loud enough not only for Durnan to hear but also the others around.

If there is no immediate advice she will enter with the others.

OCC: 1gp deducted, spell list updated with continual light. Memorized spells are under her "special abilities" on the sheet.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#57 Post by Darkmane »

Durnan collects the gold pieces from the bar with a swiping motion and tosses them backward to the young girl as she passes along behind him, a platter with more drinks held high over head. She catches the gold coins with practiced ease and without spilling any drinks.

"Ho Ho! There's my daughter! Nice catch Tamsil!" Smiling widely, he leans over to Tella, while most folks are paying attention to the girl and says quietly, "Now, I do have some good advice for you, take small bites! When you get down there, explore a handful of rooms, maybe a dozen at most, and then get back out of there. Venture further from the entrance each time you take a trip. And be wary of teleport traps or gates, walk through one of those, and you will be stuck down there for days or until you die! It's a deep dungeon, it may go miles down, right into the Underdark."

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#58 Post by spanningtree »

Tella - Mage

Leaning in close to accept Durnan's wise words she will arch an eyebrow at his response: Teleport traps... I never thought about... hmmm. Your advice rings sincere and I thank you for it. She will slide another gold across the bar: Please give us your blessings. She will say with a wink. With that she will join her friends and relate the information given before the descent.

OCC: Another gold deducted. Gotta fill that pouch back up! :)

GreyWolfVT

#59 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble nods his acceptance of the advice and is still awaiting the information of how much to pay for the meal/drink to Themras. Also awaiting Durnan to say if we need to pay now for the return trip or not.

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#60 Post by ylinett »

Thorax eyes the room. In a load voice he declares: "Waste not your money betting against the will of Clangeddin Silverbeard. Here are my last two gold inn keep, one for down and one for up. I will require a meal and a bath also when I return. Food for my belly and water to wash off the blood of my enemies. I will bring with me the riches of the deep to pay. Any of you who be stout and true, those who are loyal and know not the stink of fear...join us in our quest. Join us now of forever know that when the time came, on the day of fables when it all started you shrank back. Now is your chance for honor, now is your chance for glory. Now is your chance for riches, and now is your chance to live on forever in the tales of bards and lore keepers. I cannot promise that you will not die, but I can promise that if you follow me on this day you shall truly live!" With that Brother Thorax, Priest of Clangeddin heads to the hole and prepares to descend. He will find out at the bottom who has chosen to follow.

Return to “Under Streets of Splendor (2ed)”