1-First Nights in the City

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: 1-First Nights in the City

#21 Post by Distorted Humor »

I just want to stretch my legs says the crabby Ranger.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#22 Post by GreyWolfVT »

"Alright, so far we have two for the Hanged Man and one for the Mermaid Arms, what say the rest of you?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#23 Post by Darkmane »

After a little discussion, you decide to head off to the Hanged Man. The guards at the Blackstar give you directions, but this ends up being your first solo trip in the city. As you head out into the snow and black of the night, looking up to the north you see that Mount Waterdeep is lit by a line of signal fires. Also, there is a massive castle, rising up over the city streets at least 400-500 feet into the sky. All of the buildings leading up to that area rise up along the slope of the mountain so you can see in that direction quite clearly.

However, the guards send you the other way, and within a few minutes you are down into a tangle of buildings. You make your way out to Snail street and follow that back down toward the docks to the first street you saw when you arrived in Waterdeep, Net Street.

On the corner of Net and Snail is a bar set into a larger building, a ramshackle of wood and stone, seemingly built up over several projects into an array of businesses and apartments. The bottom floor is the Hanged Man, and right now, the door is wide open, releasing waves of heat and light, and a huge crew of people. At first you think there might have been a fire inside or something, but the people coming out of the bar pull up their cloaks and capes tight and walk off into the snowy evening. Their clothes on average are of a higher quality than what you've been used to seeing in the Dock Ward so far.

When you finally make your way into the bar, there are only a few men left inside. There are a couple of older men at a table in the corner with a chess-set between them. They are both soundly asleep and snoring in their chairs. There are about 4 other men putting out candles and lanterns, until the bar is much darker inside. you make your way over to the bar and as you are being served your drinks, suddenly three men make their way back onto the stage.

In the dim light, they pull forth stringed instruments, and one of them says "We thought we would sneak back on stage, and play one more for the regulars of the Hanged Man, and you new people over there at the bar." With that, they begin a dynamic song on violin, lute, and some other tiny stringed instrument. The melodies bounce back and forth between the instruments, and their fingers seem to float across the strings faster than you can believe. Everyone watches them for what seems like an hour, but only a minute or two passes by. When they are finished, the 3 three older men at the lone table clap their hands, and even the snoring chess players awake and drop coins into the players instrument cases. The players wave at all of you, and thank you for your praise, and then head back out off the stage.

OOC, for an earth like representation of what they played: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXhHcOx3stY

After they leave, one of the old men at the "the regulars table" comes over to you and says, "Well met! You must be adventurers, look at you, your armor and dress! We love adventurers! And new to the city, you must be, otherwise ye would have arrived at dusk when the band was meant to start! Ha ha! We would be honored if you would pull up a table with us and exchange some stories with old men who live for them. Well, I guess we live for stories and good beer! I'm Elphas, the book binder, and those two gentlemen are Haeruund the sage, and Delblas the Scrivener. Sit! Sit! We can exchange some tales, I'm sure you could find some of what we say useful!"

Elphas wears an ink stained tunic, and has more hair coming out of his ears and nose than on the top of his head. Haeruund however, has grey slicked back hair and wears a fine doublet, but by the way he holds his tankard, he is nearly under the table. Delblas is the oldest of them all, and his fingers are thin and ink stained, and he giggles to himself now and again.

If you sit down with them, they start by asking who you are, and what your plans are in the city?

GreyWolfVT

#24 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble will tell his stories about how he became a follower of Gond and the story of his unique firearm weapon. He then will continue into the travel here on the boat and his portion of how he met his companions as well as some of their adventures. "Sometimes my stories get a little long I'm sorry if I was preachy. Ah I see some of you enjoy a game of chess I love that game it is such a great game of logic and strategy. I might have to watch you play sometime or maybe even play a game or two."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#25 Post by ylinett »

"Aye. We are indeed. We mean to grab this city by her beard and ride her home. Pour a blessing to Clangeddin and let me tell you a tale.

It started as all stories start...'No shit, there I was. Five orcs and me with just my Axe. This was back in the days before I had finished my shield and armor, but it didn't matter. Surrounded, outnumbered, alone, and inexperienced...but I did have my faith. Praying to Clangeddin I pointed at the first Orc and commanded him to do the first thing that came to mind...vomit. I know that normally one commands sleep, flee, or trip...but there were five and I will thank Clangeddin for the inspiration. Turns out that the famously strong stomach of an orc produces a prodigious amount of projectile vomit. And well, the bigger they are, the harder they fall. Seems like Orcs must never puke eating all that nasty grot they call food. So when they do; they just don't stop.

Now I know what you are thinking...there were four more, you surely did not have time to cast on all of them. You would be correct, but the first one had turned and sprayed the one next to him. The smell, and sight overcame the orc, and in turn all of the orcs. One after another in a chain reaction they lay retching and heaving unable to stand or barely breath. It was at this point the rest of my clan arrived drawn by the noise and stench. Thorbjorn Stoneteeth looked at me eyes wide with wonder and asked how I did it. All I could think of at that time was 'drinking contest'. And I have never regretted my answer."

With that Brother Bristlebeard sits down and bangs his stein on the table a self satisfied grim playing on his face. In truth much larger than his story merits.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by spanningtree »

Tella - Mage

Tella will clap when the band finishes. Thank you for the excellent song. She will say as she give them 2sp for their trouble.

Around the table Tella will recall a story about a run in with a group of inexperienced pirates near the Moonshae Isles. She offers to buy each of the gentlemen joining them an ale.

OCC: 2sp deducted for the band.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

GreyWolfVT

#27 Post by GreyWolfVT »

"Ah yes were are my manners." Glimble gets up and walks over to the band and leaves a 1gp "Outstanding performance, I enjoyed it very much." deducted the 1gp from my sheet
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#28 Post by Distorted Humor »

The Crabby ranger sits in the corner watching, being non-social.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#29 Post by Darkmane »

Elphas jumps up again at the end of your tale, and paces a bit around your table, clapping the dwarves on the back, " Firearms! Battling orcs with vomit! Pirates! Oh boy, you've already got some great tales! Well now we've got to return the favor. Perhaps I could tell you about the Moon Sphere, a magical effect attributed to Selune, that would please your crabby ranger and your elven friends here. Or maybe I should tell you a story I know about a the adventures of a certain Cormyrean Princess, in the city at night! Ho ho, but you are adventurers, looking for more battles and treasure! You'd probably be more interested if I could coax Haeruund here to tell you a bit of what he knows about the famous dungeon under our own city, Undermountain?"

At hearing the word Undermountain, Hearuund the sage perks up in his chair and slicks his hair back to neaten it. "They bring me treasuresh to find their storiesh, and to get a bit off the prices, I makesh adventures tell me their stories. Especially, of connekshuns betweens the undermountain and the aintshunt king, king, kingdom of Illefarn! Ash a sage of songs and cryptographiesh, Illefarn is my white whalesh, eshpecially her song gates! I think theresh a song gate in this city, I think it exshplains the missing people."

He looks over at you and smiles, seeming to sober up a bit, "If you are planning to go down in there, and you bring up anything with runes, bring it to me! I can help you understand its purposh, itsh history. My prices are fair, and if you tell me some of the storiesh you findsss, down in there, I'll give a dishcount. If you're planning to head to the Under Hallsh, start with the Yawning Portal. Itsh a bar, up near castle waterdeep, I can tells you how to get there! The bar has a large open well right in the center of it, leads down into Undermountain, and for a shmall fee, they let you down in, and for another fee, they bring you back up. Itsh said there are other ways into the halls, but that the shafest way, and fastest! Now what elshe can I tell you!

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#30 Post by ylinett »

"All I want to know is when we leave. Clearly this is a direct message from Silverbeard. We must go and do this."

GreyWolfVT

#31 Post by GreyWolfVT »

"I must say my interest is quite peaked when you mention this it sounds like a great adventure, even a decent challenge and I love a challenge." Glimble smiles and appears quite intrigued over this undermountain place and the hall. "Who knows what wounders this hall you speak of might hold."

Spiderdown
Tracker
Tracker

#32 Post by Spiderdown »

Where my friends go I go, Muriel nods comfortably. And if this is an issue of religious significance for Thorax then all the more reason. What's this Moon Sphere?

GreyWolfVT

#33 Post by GreyWolfVT »

"Ah yes my addled mind missed that detail, what is the moon sphere? Is there any local area that might have more information on the moon sphere if you do not know much about it yourselves?"

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#34 Post by spanningtree »

Tella - Mage

Pitching my body into the open maw that is the underworld has about as much appeal as pruning my ears... of course the dwarfs and gnome are just fine with it! She will say with a gesture and smile toward Glimble, Thorax and Cormack. Then taking another drink of ale: I follow my friends where trouble takes us. The connection of "Undermountain" with this city is of great interest and I would assume potentially lucrative.

Having a connection with Selune already she waits in interest for any reply that Elphas might give.

GreyWolfVT

#35 Post by GreyWolfVT »

"I knew someone would make that remark, just because us Gnomes and Dwarves are familiar with both underground and above, we go and get ridiculed. If anything I consider it knowing the best of both worlds and being open minded. You surface dwellers don't know the half of it, there are wonderful splendors in the underground that could top some of the splendors I have seen in the surface realms." Glimble chimes in again with a bit of mocked hurt. Then he chuckles to let his fellows know he is just giving one of his speeches again. ;)

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#36 Post by Darkmane »

Elphas leans over the table and shows you how to get to the Yawning Portal with a crudely drawn map on a scrap on paper with a bit of charcoal. Based on your limited knowledge of the city it seems somewhat near the Blackstar Inn, it will be a long walk from down by the docks.

Elphas says, "We heard more than one story from you so it's only fair I tell you about the Moon Sphere. The Yawning Portal usually doesn't close until late at night so you've got time if there is interest."

Ooc I'll update again in the morning with the story about the moon sphere.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#37 Post by spanningtree »

Tella - Mage

Tella will make a mental note of the location of the Yawning Portal. Many thanks! My hopes are that our luck changes with this en devour. She will then lean back and listen to Elphas's tail with great interest.

GreyWolfVT

#38 Post by GreyWolfVT »

"My thanks for the map, and information." Glimble says then states to the group "Good news it is that the portal will remain open long enough for us to get there this night, but I wonder do we want to rush off on this adventure so soon? We only just arrived here and have yet seen so little of this wondrous city." Glimble finishes his thoughts out loud then listens with utmost interest about the moon sphere.

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#39 Post by Distorted Humor »

Dagmar

Dagmar lights his pipe, feet on the table, and says "Well, I vote for hunting in the woods, but the treasure does make it perhaps worthwile.. ."

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#40 Post by Darkmane »

Elphas grabs a new pint and then starts into his story, standing and walking about the tables, loving the attention, "Yes, yes, the Moon Sphere, is a magical effect that shows up every month, on the night of the full moon. It has been happening for at least one hundred years from the accounts I've read, and folks attribute it to a powerful magic worked by Selune for her followers. It shows up in a large open space next to a bar in the South Ward known as the Jade Dancer. The court is known as the Dancing Court, and this sphere that shows up is roughly a 40 foot diameter ball of vivid blue light, across which are etched lines and pock marks like our own moon. Although its been years now, I once walked into the moon sphere, and it allows you to fly. If you concentrate, you can fly and levitate about the inner area of the sphere. The City Watch guards the sphere and stop spells from being cast about the sphere or into the sphere, since there are stories that magic can be twisted in various ways by the powers inside. The sphere itself is considered a holy place by worshippers of Selune, and its also frequented by lovers who float about in its midst kissing in mid air, and I've heard of even more ardent acts taking place! At times guests from the Jade Dancer will leap from the balcony of the Dancer over into the globe, its considered quite debonair to be able to perform this leap without spilling a drop of your drink."

Now Elphas stops and then says in a much quieter tone,"Now I've never seen this, but I've heard tales that from time to time you can see the spirits of seven ghostly ladies dancing elaborate formal dances from the courts of Tethyr. Its said that these are the spirits of seven royals who were killed by their treacherous uncle who replaced the stuffing of their pillows with these horrible grub creatures which dissolve human flesh! What a way to go! Anyway, I've never seen them, but perhaps it is possible that they do haunt the sphere, since it is the last place they are known to have visit before their murder."

He gets a bit sheepish after his big finish with the murder ghost story, " Anyway, sorry to end on a ghost story, I sometimes do get a bit zealous. I hope to see you back in the Hanged Man someday, maybe you'll bring some treasures by for us to look at, Haeruund here is an excellent sage, when he isn't all drunk! I better be on my way, and get him home, before the night life of Waterdeep starts lurking about the streets. Well met again, and good luck in your adventures!"

Return to “Under Streets of Splendor (2ed)”