Group Backstory

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Group Backstory

#1 Post by Darkmane »

I'd like you guys to do some collaborative storytelling to fill in exactly how your adventuring band got to Waterdeep.

Here is what has definitely happened- you are arriving into Waterdeep on a boat, you came here due to not scoring enough loot in your previous adventures, you have 5000xp, and the loot described in the char gen thread. Now I'd like you guys to have fun filling in some details.

Questions to get you started(not necessary to answer any or all):

How did you all meet, form a band?
Do you have an adventuring party name?
Why didnt you find great treasure while adventuring in the past?
Do you have any enemies?
Did anybody save anybody else's tail in the past?
Are there lost loves back in xxxx?

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Group Backstory

#2 Post by ylinett »

I would like to start on this. Here is what I propose. One of us will state something. You cannot undo what someone else has said, only modify it. Example: sure we had a name for our adventuring group. We were known quite well in Dwarven lands. We were called the Bristlebeards. Reply: Brother Thorax exaggerates. We were never that well known, more like a couple of Tavern Wenches had the name shouted at them. And for the record we were only called The Bristlebeards as a joke. The actual name of our group was always The Tallboys. Next reply: Tavern wenches indeed, those were actually cultists in disguise, I know...I checked under their robes.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

How did you all meet, form a band? By Gond's will.
Do you have an adventuring party name? ShortFellows
Why didnt you find great treasure while adventuring in the past? It was not in Gond's will.
Do you have any enemies? Followers of Evil.
Did anybody save anybody else's tail in the past? Sure I've saved other Gnomes. The Dwarves here have saved my skin a time or two.
Are there lost loves back in xxxx? My Arquebus.
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by Distorted Humor »

How did you all meet, form a band? In a Tavern of course
Do you have an adventuring party name? The Short and Talls...
Why didnt you find great treasure while adventuring in the past? I mostly track stuff
Do you have any enemies? Gnolls
Did anybody save anybody else's tail in the past?
Are there lost loves back in xxxx? Elf maiden who married a elven prince. Wise enough to keep walking on.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by spanningtree »

Tella's responses to a candid interview while slightly toasted.

How did you all meet, form a band? A tavern meeting was most likely if I remember, possibly under a table while a riot raged on around us. Something about a bill owed by a gnome or dwarf, maybe both. Best not to think about it.

Do you have an adventuring party name? The Everpoor, I think...

Why didnt you find great treasure while adventuring in the past? Well... were coming out of the ruins, with the loot, and come across a little village of dryads. Were thinking this has to be good for something so someone comes up with the idea of playing a god gambit on them. It started out okay but out of nowhere their like "Meet our old god!" and this efreet comes out of nowhere, I think his name was Grinnroon or something. It all went downhill from there...

Do you have any enemies? Dryads, maybe efreet's in general.

Did anybody save anybody else's tail in the past? I think we've all taken turns with the cards of fate. We all take turns helping each other with the negative cards from time to time.

Are there lost loves back in xxxx? Huh!?! Well, not yet... but there's always tomorrow and another town.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by ylinett »

Well if this is th way we want to go I will take a stab at it too.

How did you all meet, form a band? Every group meets in a tavern, ours was no different. There was indeed a brawl, and it was caused not by a bill owed, but by a bill refused. How they could charge full price for a mug of foam and a dash of water...Anyway, were were the only ones standing at the end, and by the rules everyone who is not is arrested and held (easier then wrestling the standing drunks). Either way we decided to head off and get soem food and over a meal of Mutton and Parsnips we bonded.

Do you have an adventuring party name? We called ourselves many things, but ultimately none of them really stuck. Perhaps some day a bard will name us and our tales will be told.

Why didnt you find great treasure while adventuring in the past? We are a generally good bunch, and that means that we don't tend to go after the really lucrative jobs. Finding something within our ability that does not carry the weight of questionable ethics is hard. As we have learned widows and orphans generally cannot afford to pay and certainly not anything worth mentioning when you split is 18 ways.

Do you have any enemies? Funny you should mention it. We do in fact. In addition to the usual lot at that bar was a particularly nasty fellow named Garan. It seems Garan being some muckety muck in the local theives guild back home had bitten off more than he could chew and was trying to lay low. Never thought that hanging out at a tavern known for being pretty milk-toast would land him in the hands of the authorities. Oops. Luckily for him his guild mates managed to sneak him out before his execution in the morning, but now not only was he sentenced to death, but there is a bounty on his head and not a small one. Most people would take the chance to flee, but not Garan. He instead found out the name and residence of each and every one of us, and over the next few months while we were out trying the whole "adventuring thing" he set about laying plans to destroy our lives. Personally my brewery and smithy were destroyed. You would have to ask everyone else what he did to them. Either way with my life on the line and potentially those of everyone I cared for too, I figured it was better to leave and let him forget about us.

Did anybody save anybody else's tail in the past? We all owe eachother for one time or another, it is why we overlook some of our otherwise questionable behavior.

Are there lost loves back in xxxx? My brewery and my forge...damn that Garan.

GreyWolfVT

#7 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Alright if you want some serious replies here you are.
How did you all meet, form a band? We've met all over some in taverns, but I don't go to such silly places, others we ran into on the road or found in some inn or town.

Do you have an adventuring party name? We've had several but eventually we just didn't bother to make a "band" name.

Why didnt you find great treasure while adventuring in the past? Sure we've come across some very interesting things some good some evil, we've lost some or had others destroyed, if we all were as organized as some we might still know if we carry any of these things anymore.

Do you have any enemies? When you travel and go actively looking for adventure yes you manage to make enemies.

Did anybody save anybody else's tail in the past? Sure, in a adventuring party everyone eventually saves one of the other party members tails.

Are there lost loves back in xxxx? I have no long lost loves other than my religion and my engineering inventions.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Spiderdown
Tracker
Tracker

#8 Post by Spiderdown »

How did you all meet, form a band? I was looking for an out, and then there was this huge brawl... I picked a side and lucked out with this crew. Short and thick describes the common build, but that's also a pretty good description of how they think.

Do you have an adventuring party name? The Shortalls or something? I thought that was a name for a toddler outfit, but what do I know?

Why didn't you find great treasure while adventuring in the past? Short and thick, remember? If you count knowledge as treasure, we have tons in the lessons learned department. Let me regale you with some! Cave toads don't have any money, no matter how thoroughly you search them. Shriekers don't have any money either. Giant spiders don't keep treasure in their webs and most of the people who get eaten by them usually aren't very rich. Dire vultures and zombies are not natural enemies. Owlbears and giant weasels are not natural enemies. Owlbears and gas spores are natural enemies and definitely should not be brought together within 30 feet of anyone you care about. Goblins can smell black powder for at least half a mile. Stormfang Gnolls are not just like normal Gnolls, although I told them that, they just don't listen. Blink dogs don't... (trailing off)

Do you have any enemies? Tons! I used to be in a sort of a... cult of... evil street performers, it's actually really embarrassing. They said they weren't evil when I joined, they weren't part of the Thieves' Guild so it seemed legit, but then, eugh. It turned out they were in league with some kind of underworld busker demons, I didn't really stick around for the details. I was only 85, you can't blame an elf for what she does at that age. That was a while ago, I don't think the shorties have really clued in about how old I am yet...

Did anybody save anybody else's tail in the past? I saved Cormack from a wild beer just now...

Are there lost loves back in xxxx? Yeah, but don't tell Dagmar!

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by Darkmane »

Really good stuff, I love all the different perspectives, maybe there is one truth in all that ;)

GreyWolfVT

#10 Post by GreyWolfVT »

or maybe we are all correct just like any story everyone has a different side to tell.

Return to “Under Streets of Splendor (2ed)”