-Ask the GM

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

-Ask the GM

#1 Post by Darkmane »

This is where you can ask me questions about the game, your characters, etc...

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: -Ask the GM

#2 Post by GreyWolfVT »

so was Gond going to be my deity?

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Gond
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by Darkmane »

I love Gond, but the choice is ultimately yours.

If you decide to be a cleric of Gond, you can stick to the generic cleric template from the PHB or you could be a specialty priest-

Specialty Priests of Gond:

Reduced Spell Casting Ability: Only the following domains/spheres: All, astral, combat, divination elemental, protection, sun. Minor ability in: Charm, Guardian, Healing

No turning undead, or controlling undead ability!

Specialty priests can use wizard magical staves, wands, and rods, normally only usable by wizards.

You get a +2 bonus to these proficiencies, if you pick them: armorer, artistic ability, blacksmithing, carpentry, engineering, and weaponsmithing. Extra slots improve your ability further as usual.

Specialty priests have an aptitude for devices and may "pick locks" if given the proper tools as a thief of 1/2 their level.

Arms and armor as standard cleric, but also Arquebus type weapons, if you have enough $ to purchase them.

Gondsmen (another name for specialty priests of Gond) wear saffron vestments, with a crimson sash over the shoulder, the sash is adorned with metal tools and other objects that may or may not prove useful... They also like to wear wide metal belts and enormous sun hats. Some Gondsmen have the secret of smoke powder....

GreyWolfVT

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Alright so this changes some but not all of the special abilities on my character sheet then.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by Darkmane »

Yep, if you choose to go the specialty priest route, it would change your special abilities accordingly. Also, instead of having you roll for extra equipment I'll just let you have a standard arquebus, if you'd like.

Arquebus: 10 lbs, size M, piercing damage, 1d10/1d10 (sm/large), Rate of Fire 1 every 3 rounds, Short Range 5 yards ,Medium 15 yards, Long Range 21 yards, Backfires on a 1-2 causing 1d6 damage to the user and a 10% chance of being broken (successful engineering prof. check to fix), when rolling damage, if you roll a 10, roll again 1 time and add that damage to the original amount (i.e. 10+x, where X is the value of the second 1d10 roll).

I'm not going to give your character the secret of smoke powder this early in the game, but I will let you purchase some at the local temple of Gond, along with bullets. If you decide to take the arquebus, you will have 12 charges of powder & bullets to start with.

GreyWolfVT

#6 Post by GreyWolfVT »

That's a first I have never played a adventure/campaign where arquebus was even allowed. But that will be a nice replacement to the sling I have. :mrgreen: So what I'll say if that is ok with you is that the arquebus has a shoulder sling and I'll have it slung over my shoulder the ammo I'll put in a pouch like I had with the sling bullets. I'm going to be daring and take the arquebus, lets hope I don't blow my face off.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by Darkmane »

Almost blowing yourself up is part of the fun :)

GreyWolfVT

#8 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Yeah but I'd like to live past the first battle I use the thing in. ;)

GreyWolfVT

#9 Post by GreyWolfVT »

So another question what would I put in inventory for the Arquebus ammo? Smoke power and sling bullets?? Or should I just call it Arquebus ammo???

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by Darkmane »

I'd call it arquebus ammo, since it probably has a custom size.

GreyWolfVT

#11 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Alright that and it would require powder so are you counting the powder in the "Ammo" or as a seperate item per some sort of measurement like a horn of black powder "smoke powder" as I found it mentioned in some 2e weapons/ammo web listings.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by Darkmane »

ednichols wrote:Alright that and it would require powder so are you counting the powder in the "Ammo" or as a seperate item per some sort of measurement like a horn of black powder "smoke powder" as I found it mentioned in some 2e weapons/ammo web listings.
I'd say that really you have 12 "charges" of smoke powder (you can store them in a horn, or a leather bag, or something like that, maybe individual little tubes?) and then you have arquebus bullets. The bullets could be made by any blacksmith who takes some measurements and spends some time working them up. The smoke powder is really the limiting factor, at this time in the Realms it is pretty rare, but don't worry, you can find just about anything in Waterdeep....

GreyWolfVT

#13 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Alright I corrected this information in my inventory on the roller sheet. I put that the powder is in glass vials that I keep in one of my vest pockets. I also have two pouches one has my holy symbol if I need one anymore and the other carries my bullets. I have both of these tied to my belt.

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#14 Post by ylinett »

Sorry, it's been a while. As a Dwarf I get a bonus to several of my saving throws based on my Con. Do I also get my wisdom bonus? 5/14/8/16/10 Based on the best score in each class and my high Con that is what I get. Am I doing it wrong? And am I really supposed to get another 3 against beguiling, charm, fear, hypnosis, illusions, possession, suggestion, etc.?

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by Darkmane »

Yep those are good ones. Muliclass dwarf, high wis... Yep I'm going to have to look it up. I'll pm you with the answer :)

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by Darkmane »

General comments about game flow:

After the flurry of character creation posts are complete, and everybody has a character sheet posted... I'm going to kick the game off. I'm hoping to get us started by this weekend.

I typically am able to post everyday during the workweek, usually in the morning eastern std time. Sometimes I check again in the evening, so if I'm a bit pokey answering PM's I apologize. I'll try to check more frequently near the beginning.

If some of you have more time than others, and find this pace a bit slow, I've made an area called group backstory. I'd like you guys to Have fun, use your imagination, and work up the story of what your characters did before arriving in Waterdeep on a boat. If you add hooks in there and I use them as part of an adventure, I will definitely award some exp to the group for seeding the idea. The whole group will be awarded so don't feel bad if you don't have time.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by spanningtree »

I was unable to find the cost and weight of a spellbook. Any ideas?
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

GreyWolfVT

#18 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I could look that up for you in about an hour I have the old AD&D 2e core 2.0 software on my home laptop. :mrgreen:

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by spanningtree »

Thanks GreyWolfVT, I finally found the info in the 2e DMG, under "Spellbooks" of all places. :D

"Each wizard begins the game with a spell book, but he has no information on what that book contains. You tell him."

No weight info though, just cost data if a new one is to be made. So I would assume the book is free but has let's say a weight of 3lb (pretty beefy for a book). Let me know what you guys think!
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

Spiderdown
Tracker
Tracker

#20 Post by Spiderdown »

spanningtree wrote:Thanks GreyWolfVT, I finally found the info in the 2e DMG, under "Spellbooks" of all places. :D

"Each wizard begins the game with a spell book, but he has no information on what that book contains. You tell him."

No weight info though, just cost data if a new one is to be made. So I would assume the book is free but has let's say a weight of 3lb (pretty beefy for a book). Let me know what you guys think!
Just as well they're free, mages don't start with that much money...

Return to “Under Streets of Splendor (2ed)”